Lens nomenclature

graham_martin2

<p>Is there a single place that I can go to that lists all Hasselblad lenses including their nomenclature, and which bodies they will work on? I have placed an order from KEH for a 500c/m and a 100mm lens. In looking at other used lenses that I might buy in the future I see lenses with designations such as "C", "CF", "T*" etc. I would like to be able to find a single source that tells me what these designations mean.</p>

<p>I went to the Hasselblad website but couldn't find any reference to the older manual focus lenses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The first generation lenses for the 500 series Hasselblad cameras were called "C" lenses after the name of the shutter : Compur.<br>

The first C lenses were produced in 1956 a year before the 500C camera became available.<br>

Starting in 1971 C lenses received an improved 6 layer coating called T*<br>

All lenses are subcequently T* coated except superachromat versions.</p>

<p>C lenses were superceded by CF lenses in 1982 and later for some focal lengths.<br>

The shutter was replaced by a Prontor one.<br>

The F indicates these lenses can also be used with 200 series bodies that have a focal plane shutter.<br>

To accomodate full functions of these cameras the Prontor shutter is not used when the lens is set to "F"<br>

The lens stays open to allow viewing of the subject immediately after the picture is taken.<br>

Winding the camera is not necessary. This is similar to any 35 mm SLR camera.</p>

<p>The CF series was improved in 1998.<br>

Improved lenses were known as CFi models.<br>

Improvements were: better anti reflection coating, different helicoid, better PC for flash or digital back and a new type mainspring to improve already very good reliability.</p>

<p>Some improved lenses also received data bus contacts for cameras of the 200 series that have built in light metering systems.<br>

These lenses were known as CFE models.<br>

Of course CFE lenses also function on 500 series bodies without the light measuring system.<br>

Technically for 500 series bodies CFE and CFi lenses are the same.</p>

<p>To complicate matters some lenses are available now used as CF, CFE and CFi versions.</p>

<p>The 80 mm started life as a CF lens changed in 1998 into a CFE model and is now available as CFi lens.<br>

Similar things happened to the 120 Makro Planar lens:<br>

The lens started as CF changed over to CFi became a CFE and is now again available as CFi lens.<br>

All CFE versions were dropped because the 200 series cameras were phased out in 2004.</p>

<p>For a user of a 500 series body there is no difference between a CFE or a CFi version.<br>

Keep in mind the CF version is older and does not have the later improvements.<br>

Still the CF is a very good lens.<br>

The helicoid of the later lenses is ergonomically better although not everybody agrees on this.</p>

<p>Carl Zeiss also made an economy version of certain lenses.<br>

These lenses are called CB and were available in four different focal lenghts: 60/80/120/160 mm.<br>

Economy version as in 1700 euro against 1950 euro for the 80 mm lens.<br>

Not a big difference and certainly not big enough to persuade buyers to buy CB lenses.<br>

Production and supply of CB lenses stopped after a couple of years.</p>

<p>source: hasselbladinfo forum</p>