Best *affordable* lens for indoor and outdoor portrait work? (For D90)

kristy_ketterman

<p>I don't have the 50 f1.8 but do have the 50 f1.4 and I find this a bit long on a DX body (suitable for head shots, f1.4 great for low light work). Got the 35 f1.8 and been using it for general candid photography. These lenses can qualify as affordable. My advice is, when you buy your D90, try out the lenses at the store and pick one that feels right to you.</p>

<p>Just make sure its a fast lens so that you can reduce the depth of field as much as possible. I mainly use a 50mm f1.4 (the 1.8 would do the trick if money is an issue.) Or I use the 85mm f1.8. Both work fine. I also like to use longer lnses for exterior work. I have for example used the 105mm f2.8 Micro lens satisfactorily.</p>

<p>I use the 105mm f/2.8, although mine dates back to 2000 when I bought it for my F100. The optics are excellent and its apparently known for its bokeh. The focal length will also give you some standoff distance for portraits so the subject doesn't feel crowded by the camera. The newer VR version is more expensive, but you can find the older D version at KEH.</p>