WLF on 6x45

ian_grandjean

<p>I am more than happy to read other peoples opinions - in this way I learn. Reading that I need a prism for a 6x4.5 camera I in fact learned something as well.</p>

<p>Well, actually two things. 1: Don't consider anything from the original poster as anything other than rubbish, and 2: That perhaps the original poster mistook this forum for his own personal soapbox.</p>

<p><em>And don't get me started on his 'rules' regarding dynamic range.....</em></p>

<p>This <em><strong>can</strong></em> be a fun place to exchange information - let's try to keep it that way.</p>

<p>Paul, I know that view camera users look at an upside down image with a black cloth. I was just pointing out that to look at a WLF equipt MF camera sideways is more difficult. It would be like putting a Hassy on it's side. Or, a TLR. The view through a view camera is not that difficult.</p>

<p>Hello Jack,</p>

<p><br />Point taken, you are right.</p>

<p>Please note this thread is a mixture of fun and more serious discussions.<br />The topic starter was surprised to read a statement without further explanation.<br />I especially like the post from Russ Britt. He saw through the posts from the topic starter and me.</p>

<p>A forum is a place to find information as well as a place to have some fun.<br />Given the right balance between these two it is a pleasure to read and post here.</p>

<p>Wilko , Paul , Jeff and Ian .<br>

Its nice to read your comments .<br>

Ok. Now we have some explanations , of what a tilt sensor is or could be .<br>

But the actual question is , why do we need a tilt sensor in a digital back .<br>

We don't have a tilt sensor in any HASSELBLAD camera , or a LEICA or a NIKON etc .<br>

I have never even heard of such a device in my CFV back till a tilt sensor error was indicated .<br>

The CFV-39 back has some tilt sensor settings like 30 , 60 or 90 degrees or auto .<br>

So again , can anyone here in this forum explain , why we need a tilt sensor in a digital back .</p>

<p>Jürgen</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If I turn on the 'tilt sensor' on my Nikon D700, all photos taken vertically are displayed vertically on the screen on the back of the camera. (Thus not filling the screen)</p>

<p>With the 'tilt sensor' off, I have to turn the camera thru 90° to see the image the right way up, but the image fills the rectangular screen.</p>

<p>How is the image displayed on the CFV/CFV-39 back if the camera is turned thru 90° when the picture was taken?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>The CFV-16 has a square sensor and would not need a tilt sensor then .<br>

But I did receive a tilt sensor error with my CFV-16 . So obviously , that back has a tilt sensor .<br>

I can not speek for the CFV-39 , as it has not arrived yet .<br>

Perhaps it is not even produced .<br>

I wonder , what the 30 and 60 degree setting will be used for .<br>

I can understand 0 or 90 and auto .<br>

Jürgen</p>

<p>Jurgen, <br>

Interesting question indeed. Maybe they (HB) should remove the tiltsensor in favor of GPS receiver? At least that would give you the exact location of where you stood with your camera while taking the picture.<br>

I've never had the need for some tiny electronic brain to tell me what was a landscape and what was a portrait shot. By the time I can no longer tell the difference I probably won't be much good as a photographer anymore..<br>

cheers,<br>

Wilko</p>

<p>If I am using a 6X45 camera with a waist level finder the camera is probably on a copy stand. There are rotary type prism finders. If I'm shooting hand held with a 6X45 camera I prefer to use the prism finder and a grip. My 6X45 cameras are all Bronica ETR series models so the Speed Grip makes shooting verticals easier. One of the things I like about my Bronica SQ series cameras is that there is no tilting for verticals. The WL finder makes the camera lighter to carry and is fine if you don't mind the laterally reversed image. I don't have a WL finder for my GS-1 cameras so I only use a prism finder with them. The odd thing is that for all three Bronica series, the WL finders are much more expensive than the plain prism finders. When they were new it was just the opposite.</p>

<p>"and then there are the 645 rangefinders, by Fuji and Bronica, that have neither prisms nor WLF's, and are normally in portrait mode."<br>

Only because of the way the film is transported. Seems to me 645 with WL only would be a frustrating waste of time. Can you imagine a 35mm that can only be oriented one way? Just common sense here.</p>