What do you think are the optimal dimensions for an image?

<p>All depends on how you are displaying the print. Frameless, matted with border, without border, etc.</p>

<p> To add to Jeff's comment, if it's a square image, trim off 6" of paper. :) After all it is just a factory size. If I want to print a 10x20" print, I cut 6" off the side of a piece of 16x20 paper, adjust the easel and make my print.</p>

<p> </p>

and what's optimal? there are standard sizes. If you adhere to the standards, you will be able to optimize your financial investment because standard sizes are available to purchase, ie frames, glazing, backing, mats etc. . . that said even if you stick to standards, you may not have the optimal size for the image itself.

You have to define optimal first other wise youre asking a question like, what's the optimal size of a person. . .

<p>5x7 is the perfect size image for that size of paper.<br>

ok.. so.. not really; i guess the point is.. whats the 'optimal' size of the image you are trying to make? I think some images scream to be printed big, others want a smaller size. In general I think that 'big' is good for standing back at looking at from a bit of a distance, smaller invites closer scrutiny and a more personal inspection of the image.</p>

<p>Random thoughts:</p>

<p>Same as most folks, probably, I crop so the picture looks best and let the aspect ratio fall where it may.</p>

<p>When I do that, I often seem to end up with a square or close to it. My sensibilities may have been warped by too long association with YashicaMats in younger days and Hasselblads in later life.</p>

<p>For hundreds of years, some artists have thought the so-called "golden ratio" is the ideal. The golden ratio is 1 to a specific irrational number, often represent by a lower case Greek phi (ψ), approximately equal to 1.618. Here's the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio">Wikipedia article</a>. It's skinnier than most common photo formats. Here's a picture cropped that way.</p><div>00UDvi-165561784.jpg.1a1b016ddd96b6b1a980f343953764d3.jpg</div>