Photographers attire?

shaej

<p>Not a silly question.</p>

<p>I would never wear jeans unless specifically requested to by the couple AND it was fitting with the rest of the wedding theme.</p>

<p>If, for example, I was shooting the wedding of the daughter of Levi's CEO and it was a Western theme and the couple said "please wear jeans"... then I'd show up in Levis.</p>

<p>Otherwise, never. I dress for comfort, but you can be stylish, too. I am not the most expensive wedding shooter around, but I am not cheap, either. Part of what the couple are buying into is the image.</p>

<p>Shae,</p>

<p>I've found the hardest part of dressing up is the shoes. Clothes- you can find comfy nice attire. But you can't wear hiking boots with dress slacks (well... I guess you <em>could</em> ... but). Shoes for Crews has dress-style shoes and they were made for servers, so their made for long wear, up on your feet all day, and their no-slip (which is awesome if you've never worn true no-slip shoes). Price isn't bad, either.</p>

<p>Oh, and no, I wouldn't wear jeans to a wedding unless asked to.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Shoes for Crews has dress-style shoes and they were made for servers, so their made for long wear, up on your feet all day, and their no-slip (which is awesome if you've never worn true no-slip shoes).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jen, you're a freakin' star!!</p>

<p>Thanks for that.</p>

<p>I shot a wedding on an actual working ranch this year. Wedding was outside; bride was driven in on a tractor. Reception was in the barn. </p>

<p>The bride wore cowboy boots. Father of the bride was wearing jeans and so (if I recall correctly) was her step-father. Lots of guests wearing jeans. Me, I wore a suit. I didn't stick out. The groom and groomsmen were wearing nice suits, and there were certainly guests wearing what passes for formal wear these days. I agree with everybody else: I would not wear jeans unless asked. </p>

<p>I wear black trousers (not jeans) a dark shirt and smart shoes. I'm working, carrying kit all day, lying on the floor and whatnot, so I choose smart but comfortable. I don't feel compelled to dress to the level of the guests, because frankly, I'm not a guest, and wouldn't want to be mistaken for one. At my sister-in-law's wedding a few years ago, the photog and her assistant were in morning dress, which was more formal than the wedding party. Boy did they look silly, but to be fair they got good old-fashioned traditional shots so maybe that was their style.</p>

<p>few weeks ago I was wainting for a girl to take some senior pictures. At the same place( wonderful place, old house, big park, museum) was a wedding and I saw the photographer coming. He had one old black t-shirt, one vest with a lot of pockets( this I liked it) like the one for fishing and short tan pants. He looked like was going fishing. Sorry but I don't think was apropiate dressed.</p>

<p>Simona, yes I agree the "fishing" look may not be appropriate. Although I mentioned I thought about wearing jeans, they are a very dressy, dark wash and would have been dressed up with an appropriate shirt and shoes. I do get it though..........jeans are a NO GO!!! Thank you all!!!!</p>

<p>Now a days >> I think it depends on the price you are being paid ---- 90% of the time I always wore a tux... >> but, with the latest drop in the economy, in our market >> a sliding scale of attire ~ may follow suite :: with the contract price of your wedding coverage . Not going to shine my shoes for a B&G > asking for a half price deal from our photography quotes . May start changing the equipment we use :: Full frame for $$$ --P&S for $ Another way to save the B&G costs :=)</p>

<p><em>"I photographed a wedding in June wearing jeans, cowboy boots, cowboy hat.<br />It was in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and the bride was wearing red cowboy boots."</em><br>

<em></em><br>

The bride can wear whatever she wants, it's her wedding. I'll guess that it was a "cowboy theme" wedding which isn't a typical wedding. I'm also familiar with the "Renaissance Fair" theme wedding which would make wearing a monk's robe appropriate for the photographer. Also my guess is that if you're shooting scuba divers that marry under 30 feet of water on a reef it would likely be appropriate to wear swimming trunks while color coordinating your air tanks and BCDs.</p>

<p>Over the course of more than 500 weddings, I've worn black (dress) jeans twice. Once at a wedding that was held on a farm with pony rides and a petting zoo for the kids and at a "biker" wedding complete with a motorcycle motorcade. But even then I wore a white tux dress shirt, without a tie, and a black leather vest. Most of the male guests wore their vests with the clubs colors on the back over a t-shirt (or sans shirt).</p>

<p>If I sound a little testy about this topic, I apologize but I've frequently witnessed other vendors. videographers, and a few photographers that were dressed far too casually at a church wedding with the guys in the bridal party all wearing tuxedos. For me the question is whether to wear a tux or a slacks, tie, and sport jacket. Jeans IMO are never acceptable attire at a formal wedding. Certainly, there can be differing opinions and differences in cultures and what is acceptable can vary. If I'm shooting a luau-themed wedding on the beach wearing sandals, shorts and a Hawaiian shirt it's probably fine. If I show up at a Catholic Cathedral wearing blue jeans and sandals I'll expect getting alot of flack from the wedding party and I expect I haven't endeared the officiant's perception/attitudes toward photographers.</p>

<p >I don't wear jeans to a Wedding. I have, however worn jeans to reconnoitre a venue. I don’t think it is a silly question. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I think the question could, in part, illustrate the trend of how this Wedding Photography business is developing. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >My image is part of what my Clients buy, I agree. I think we need to be aware that some clients would be comfortable with a Photographer dressed in Jeans. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Also Jeans might be conducive to the "Image" some clients are seeking to buy.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >But the real question is” “Would these two groups of Clients be disenfranchised if the Photographer were more formally attired?”</p>

<p > </p>

<p >If the Bride and Groom were barefoot or the Wedding Party were wearing thongs (don't know what "thongs" are in American) . . . maybe the Clients would be put off by a Photographer in a shirt, tie, coat and dress pants – but I don’t think so.. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I think the dress code <em >the Bride and Groom would find acceptable will be obvious at the sales meeting</em> - but many Wedding Photographers don't have sales meetings any more, I guess? </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><em >But even if the Bride and Groom gave me the impression that Jeans were accepatble to them - my vision would be wider and take into account all the Prospects, that day, who would be seeing me on display at my Craft, and thus I would not wear jeans.</em></p>

<p > </p>

<p >I drive many kilometers every week: I often see tradesman's vans neat and clean and ladders in order and ocky straps done up tight and other vans shabby and messy. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >The shabby and messy ones more often than not also drive discourteously an tailgate a lot - and yet both have their trading names and telephone numbers clearly on display . . . I wonder about these things, and good business "advertising" protocols. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Jeans can be neat and clean – don’t misinterpret my meaning – I am just making the point generally that at a Wedding, the Photographer is “advertising” to Potential Clients – and good advertising attracts the most and disenfranchises the least.</p>

<p >WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Be dressed a bit better than the average guest. Don't stand out, neither too casual nor too formal. The specifics of how to achieve that "better than the average guest" look will vary greatly depending on the wedding, location, culture, etc. Quiz the bride and groom if you have doubts as to how to achieve that look.</p>