SB-600, SB-800 or SB-900?

tom_becker8

<p>I have 2 D700's and I've been living on borrowed time by using the built-in flash especially when I'm using the 24-70mm at 24. I only use on camera flash a few times a year because I tend to go to extremes to light weddings with monolights even if it means hanging them from ceiling fixtures.<br>

Anyway, I need to get a strobe and I don't want to SPEND a lot. I just need it to cover and for it to allow me to reduce power, etc. I'll be taping gels to it.<br>

I have an SB-24 but it's useless for this, obviously. <br>

Advice? SB-600, SB-800 or SB-900?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I need to get a strobe and I don't want to SPEND a lot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly what is "spend a lot" to you? It would be much better if you could provide a $ (or Euro, Pound, yen ...) amount.</p>

<p>And that one requirement should give you a good idea which flash to get.</p>

<p>Do you need it to control more CLS strobes? Then it's the 800 or 900 for you.</p>

<p>Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 800 is the only one that will work with every digital SLR AND most modern Nikon film SLRs. So if that's a selling point, there you go.</p>

<p>What's a lot to spend? $200? $300? more?</p>

<p>Let me just say that the SB900 has a gel holder and with a D700 the camera will know what gel is in the flash (provided you use the Nikon gels). The SB900 will accept external power, such as a Quantum Turbo battery, and also has a PC terminal for a Pocket Wizard or other wireless trigger. For me the extras are worth it. I truly wish Nikon would introduce a sub-$300 flash with a PC terminal and external power (I bought a couple SB800 when they were discontinued as that's all I could afford at the time!). Now the used prices on a SB800 are just silly.</p>