how to make use of these lenses?

nazir200_200

<p>hi friends<br>

presently i have following f mount lenses AND flash accessories which i am using with n 80<br>

50 mm af (N) f1.8 nikkor,70-300mm f4-5.6 AF-D-ED nikkor, AF 20 mm f 2.8 D nikkor,<br>

sigma AF -D 170-500 mm 4-6.3 .speed light SB-28,SU-4 slave flash controller,<br>

now i want to switch over to digital.<br>

i like to shoot generaly anything from portrait,people,landscape , tele macro so on...<br>

if i buy D-5000,OR D-90 which of the lenses will suitably serve?<br>

one of my friend even advised to sell all these film gear and go to sony alpha system.<br>

to support this he pointed out many things like sony's built in image stabilisation,<br>

live view,prize difference,build quality, ziess lenses,made in japan label etc<br>

any valuable opinion from your side welcome.<br>

nazir</p>

<p>The D90 can use AF, AF-D and AF-S lenses fully. Many older Nikkors can be mounted but with the loss of auto focus and metering. If you get a DX body you will lose field of view because of the smaller sensor. You may want a wider lense. An example is your 20mm f2.8 would have the FoV of a 30mm using a DX body. It appears all your current lenses will work. You may want to go to a good camera store to compare Sony to Nikon or maybe even Canon.</p>

<p>Of the 2 body's you list the AF D lenses will meter and autofocus with the D90 and will only meter with the D5000 this is because the D90 has the built in auto focus motor. The only drawback is the 170-500 which might have some problems in anything less than bright light with a high contrast subject as Nikon only recomends autofocus down to f5.6. Dont know anything about the sb-28.</p>

<p>Ian R</p>

<p>The SB-28 (unless you have the SB-28 DX variation) will not provide TTL flash with any Nikon DSLR, and even the SB-28 DX cannot TTL with all current Nikon DSLRs that use i-TTL.</p>

<p>I think the reasons your friend gave are largely bogus. Both the D90 and D5000 have live view. The D90's build quality is good and the fact that those cameras are made in Thailand is, in my opinion, an advantage because you save money on the lower labor cost there. I have a D200 and a D300, both made in Thailand, and their construction is every bit as good as my Japanese manufactured D700. I also have a couple of Zeiss lenses and used many more; those are fine lenses but so are many Nikon lenses.</p>

<p>If you are interested in switching brands, I would check out Canon. Typically you are much better off with the leading brands such as Canon and Nikon because of the larger number of lenses, accessories, much larger used market to buy and sell as well as rental options. You also have a much larger user community such as this forum to exchange ideas.</p>

<p>I'm not trying to stir up any brand rivalry; but, as Shun says, older Nikon non-AF lenses will work (with a very few exceptions like some of the really early fisheye lenses) with stop-down through-the-lens exposure control (in Aperture priority) on any of the APS-C Canon cameras. Most will work on the 35mm-sensor size Canons, except that some lenses have rear projections (like the Nikkor 20mm f/4, for example) and do not mount on the larger cameras. A Vandal would cut off the projections which seem to serve no purpose except to protect the rear glass when unmounted, but you don't want to do that and ruin any collector value for the lens.</p>

<p>All those lenses would be useful on a D90 and you could get a D90 with the kit lens if it is any good or pick up a used Nikon 18-70 or my favourite a Tamron 28-75 2.8 for the D90. The 50mm is very useful for portraits or as a very fast short telephoto. The 20mm 2.8 with be a nice moderate wide and the two zooms could be usefull for something if you need something long from time to time. You would also have the N80 should you need it for some reason. Your SB28 will work in manual and auto apeture but not TTL. I use an SB28 on a D1H and D80 and 90% of the time it is a very workable solution compared to 400e for an SB800. One day I will get the SB800 or maybe the SB600.</p>

<p>Nope! <strong>Canon</strong> is what I meant. I have lots of older (in my case pre-AI) Nikkor lenses, and they all work just fine on modern Canon digital bodies. None of the Nikon digital models that I know of would allow the use of these non-AI lenses (see <a href="http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html">link</a> ). Even AI MF lenses will generally be easier to use on Canon digital, for the most part IMHO. My old legacy lenses played an important part in my going to Canon for digital, and I even bought a Canon 5D to put my PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 lens back into service as a wide-angle again. I don't think that this lens will work on any digital Nikon. Simple Nikon>Canon EOS adapters are cheap enough to just buy one for each lens.</p>

<p>I still love my old Nikon cameras and shoot with them often, in film.</p>

<p>Nazir you have Nikon AF lenses that will function correctly on a D90 the AF will work and so will the metering. The only lens that could be a problem is the sigma because the chip in the lens may not allow the lens to function with a modern DSLR the others will work just fine because they are Nikon AF lenses and the D90 will functions with them: You don't have any AIs nikon manual focus lenses you have AF lenses made to work with Nikon AF bodies that have an AF motor in the body. Your lenses won't AutoFocus but should meter on a D5000, D40, D40x, D60 or D3000 because the those bodies lack the AF motor that the D90 has. The D1, D1H;D1x, D200, D300 D2 and D3 will meter with older manual AI(s) nikon lenses but AI(s)will never auto focus on any body ever, but you don't have any of those. The only lens you have that could be a problem is the sigma if the lens chip is not compatible if it don't work sell it or keep it for the N80. Your Nikon lenses will also work, auto focus and meter, with the D1,D1H,D1X, D2H, D2X, D3, D3x, D100, D200; D300, D50, D70, D80 and the D90.</p>

<p>The OP's three Nikon lenses are all AF/AF-D. Therefore, other than the angle-of-view difference due to the DX sensor, they work perfectly fine on the D90.</p>

<p>I wonder why Pre-AI and AI lenses are even mentioned in this thread; they are completely off topic.</p>

<p>thanks a lot to everyone<br>

liegh ... D300 is expensive here in DUBAI.<br>

the prize of D90KIT is equal to sonyA700 kit( a body with image stabilisation ).<br>

this might be a reason why my friend advise me like this.<br>

any how since all of my lenses except sigma 170-500 (BTW ..this also a D type)can meter and AF with D90 its not the time to think about any other system .<br>

i think sb-400 will be a good combination with D90...is in' t it?</p>

<p>thank you todd<br>

i was really waiting someone like you to say about 170-500 mm from thier own experience.<br>

i read from the reviews that upto 400 or 800 ISO, D90 will perform very well. so i can shoot bird photos<br>

with this lense moderate higher ISO ..maintaining acceptable quality.(i do believe so)</p>

<p> </p>