Canonet QL17 - hard to see the fotometer needle?

<p>Er... to the best of my knowledge, all Canonet QL17s works in the semi-auto mode. With the camera in "A", you set the speed, and the system will AUTOMATICALLY set the appropriate f/stop. The needle in the viewfinder is there ONLY to let you know which f/stop has been selected, so that if for any reason (typically, depth of field) you are not happy with it, you can change the speed and thus obtain a different f/stop value. <br />If the camera is not in "A", the meter will not work at all.</p>

<p>This is absolutely correct. Canonet QL17s will meter in auto mode only. No manual metering. This is one reason I prefer the Konica Auto S2 (even though it is slightly larger). If you are shooting in Auto mode and still having problems seeing the needle, you may need to pop the top cover off and clean up all the glass.</p>

<p>Sorry, but: when shooting in semi-auto mode with a QL17, seeing or not seeing the needle in the finder is virtually irrelevant. The camera will anyway automatically close the diafragm to the appropriate f/stop, irrespective as to whether you know what this f/stop is.<br>

In fact, the camera could very well have been built with no visible needle at all. It is a luxus feature that MIGHT be of some use in some specific circumstances, but in 99% of the cases is redundant and can be ignored.</p>

<p>I'm sorry but I must "beg to differ" on this. In A mode or semi auto as you call it you must select a shutter speed until the needle is withing the acceptable f/stop range. If not the shutter will not fire. When not in A or Auto mode, the meter will not work at all. Then you have "unmetered manual mode".</p><div>00UCKp-164579584.jpg.12fdd4f17c61a2d24efabf25cfc5f3a9.jpg</div>

<p>Tom, we are saying the same thing although most probably I cannot express myself with sufficient clarity.<br>

What I'm trying to say is, Fellipe should not bother about whether he can see the needle or not. He seems to think that he needs the know the meter reading in order to shoot with a proper exposure, but this is not true. The camera willl take care of that. If he did select a speed outside the range of available f/stops, the shutter will not trip and he then knows he should shift to a slower or faster speed.<br>

Seeing the needle in the finder is an interesting info, but it is in no way needed to obtain a correct exposure.</p>

<p>OK, but what you don't seem to understand is that just like any other shutter priority camera, you select the shutter speed and the camera will select the aperture. If you are at all interested in things like Depth of Field, you would want to know whether you were shooting at f/2.8 or f/16. To quote Bryan Peterson "<em>a correct</em> exposure is not always <em>the right </em>exposure".</p>