Suggestion for film, please

tom_burke3

<p>I shall be visiting the eastern Med on an 11-night cruise in late September/early October. After a lot of dithering I've decided that I shall take my M6TTL as my only camera rather than lug a DSLR around as well. It's been a long time since I used just film for a trip and I'd welcome some suggestions. I'll be taking - or trying to take - 'travel' pictures rather than candids or street shots, so my assumption is that want to use colour film of some sort. I'm anticipating shooting quite a few rolls, getting them processed and eventually having the best shots scanned. My current lenses are the classic trio - 35, 50 & 90, with nothing faster than f2.5 (yes, I'm a Summarit buyer); I may be able to get a CV 24mm before the cruise, but this will also not be a fast lens.</p>

<p>Ports of call will include Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul, Athens & Kusadasi. It's a cruise so we'll be in most ports from late breakfast time through the day to late afternoon/early evening. It'll be after the equinoxe so the sun won't be too high even at midday; sunrise will be around 7am or just after (local time) and sunset will be just before 7pm, so for a lot of the time I can expect long shadows and high contrast, especially in Greece - white houses, bright sunshine, dark shadows. However there could also be some shots in fairly dark interiors, especially at Instanbul - Topkapi Palace & Hagia Sophia are on our list of places to visit.</p>

<p>Recommendations, please. I don't think there are any film availability issues where I live; in any case, I'm happy to buy on-line.</p>

<p>I've used Veliva 100F in my M6TTL recently for high contrast situations (mostly city lights at night). It's quite saturated, though the grain structure looks very good. Provia is more naturalistic, but I've only shot one roll of it. Velvia 100(F) is especially good for longish exposures, which I've become quite keen on recently.</p>

<p>Here's a shot on some Velvia 100, it's not a very good scan, it was done by a local highstreet lab, but it gives you some idea of the colour. the negative is fine, honest :)<br>

<a href=" Waterloo Bridge at Dusk (95500005) src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3364/3567174467_2b1e591137_d.jpg" alt="Waterloo Bridge at Sunset" /> </a><br>

I've not really got on with 35mm colour negative film, I've tried a few different types (some Fuji and some Kodak), but I find the coloured grain unpleasant to look at.</p>

<p>My favourite B&W film is Kodak's BW400CN, if that helps pin down my taste :)</p>

<p>If you are looking at slide film, I've always favored Fuji's Provia and Astia...never a fan of Velvia though it's a standard among landscape photogs. I love Fuji Reala and has been my main print film for years. Higher speed print...FUji's ISO 400 films. B&w...Ilford XP2 and the Delta series. Enjoy the trip.</p>

<p>I was on a two week Mediterranean cruise which included Santorini. I only carried a Leica CM (40mm lens) and used Kodak E100G film. I had two rolls of Provia 400F for the interior of St. Peter's in the Vatican. My point is I would use an ISO 100 slide film with some ISO 400 in reserve for when you know you'll be inside. By the way, you're smart to travel light. My Leica CM was always on my belt, no gear to carry, I enjoyed the trip, and the slide quality was very good. Enjoy your trip. </p>

<p>I also like Reala but have recently taken a strong liking to Kodak Ektar 100. I have shot three rolls of it and have been very happy with the results. I would also suggest the Portra line of films. If you want slide film...Provia and Astia are very good. You have some time before your trip, I would suggest trying some film out to see what you like. Sounds like a great trip!</p>

<p>Here's another huge vote for Fuji Reala. Esp. with a Hexar AF, I feel I get a roll of postcards back from the processor- really. In a high contrast setting like the Aegean, I'd prefer print film. My local processor scans and develops- I don't get proofs anymore- I'll just print what I want and post the rest. The interiors of Hagia Sophia are not solely illuminated by electric lighting that you can't shoot it well in daylight film w/o significant color shift; however you might consider some Tri-X. You'll have a great trip- it's hard to go wrong with that part of the world, photographically.</p>

<p>I have always relied on Reala for high contrast scnes and have never been disappointed. I first used it in the Negev Desert in Israel.</p>

<p>And becasue nobody else mentioned it, I would take some 3200 b+w for night shots, that way you can at least carry teh camera at night and maybe get some good snaps.</p>

<p>Have a nice trip!</p>

<p>If "the best" are to be scanned in the end, use the finest-grained color negative you can find. Slide films may be "zippier" on first view, but color negative has much more latitude so exposure doesn't have to be so spot on in every case. It also scans a little better, although I don't think that's as significant as the advantage of being able to pull out shadow detail better from the negative film either in printing or in scanning. Whatever you use, throw in some really high speed film like Superia 1600 (in short rolls if you can find it) for night time shots. You want short rolls so you don't end up with super high speed film in your camera the next morning, since you're only carrying the one camera (have you thought about a backup?).</p>

<p>Tom, I envy you!<br>

I'd take about 25 rolls of the new and breathtakingly flawless Kodak Ektar100 plus 8 Rolls of Kodak Portra 800.<br>

Even though I love the look of Provia 100F/400F even when pushed one/two stops, I just can't justify the hassle (exposure bracketing, scanning) and expense of shooting slide film. Ok, for cross processing purposes, experiencing the cool graininess of 400F at 1600 (...)</p>

<p>Rewinding unfinished rolls and reloading them (1/1000s plus body cap on) is riskless and makes a lot of sense - economically and ecologically - and you'll love having three stops more almost instantly with Portra 800. Superia 1600 is an ugly beast compared to it. A lightweight but tall-enough monopod will nevertheless be THE thing to have/use indoors.</p>

<p>Of course, a felt pen for noting onto the film where you left off needs to be added plus one of Ilford's great 'film strip recovery tools' (lightweight, sturdy, packing flat) - in case you rewind with too much enthusiasm. A spare CR-1/3N lithium battery could help at some point too.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Pete</p>

<p>It does depend very much on your taste; if you like "over the top" color, E100G or Velvia will be a great choice. If you want versatility in a slide film, Provia 400X can be shot outdoors (1/500 @ f/16) or indoors (1/60 @ f/2).<br>

But overall if I had to choose just one color film for a long trip with lots of different lighting conditions and subjects, my choice would be Kodak Portra 400 NC. It's got very fine grain, great skin tones, accurate color, and a really creamy tonality. It's also very forgiving; get the exposure off by a stop or two and you're basically fine.</p>

<p>I just got back from a trip to Central Europe (I shot Provia 100F and was very happy with it) but one recommendation I got off PN before my trip was to bring a single roll of 3200 ISO film (B&W) along. That gives you the ability to say to the guys with the XRay machines that they need to hand-check your film, since you have >1600 ISO film and it's not safe for the airport scanners. Worked fine for me at the four XRay check-points I ran into.</p>

<p>Enjoy your trip!</p>

<p>Also, if you have film in your camera and you want to protect it from the Xrays, remove the lens and stick the body in a lead-lined film bag. I did that on my last trip and -- surprise, surprise -- the two Xray stations I had to go through (both in airports) let it through without opening the bag. That's actually a bit scary ...</p>

<p>For the lower light shooting, you might take along some Fuji Pro 800. I use is in med. format, so I don't know if they make it in 35, but it's a beautiful film. Otherwise for slide film, Provia is really nice, 400 and 100. Kodak Portra NC ( I like the less punchy form of this film) is I think 160 and 400. Anyways, sounds a great trip. Enjoy the sights, food and drink. Some nice pics are bonus.</p>

<p>The light is bright where you are going so 100 ISO will be fine. Those lenses will be perfect but the 24 may come in handy. I'd recommend Kodak 100G or the Elite 100 version as a very good all-round film with saturated colors. <br>

This one was taken with a Leica Mini3 and Agfa CT100 (no longer available). Have fun!</p>

<p> </p><div>00UDTN-165331584.jpg.284cc16b87ecfd8bb6d43c62a3fc96c2.jpg</div>

<p>Light won't be that bright at 7 or later in the evening. I think you will be sorry if you depend on only 100 speed film. plus when going through different lighting situatitions like sooks or market places, you'll be struggling to get non-blurred pics if you just have 100 speed film</p>