Maxxum 7 vs. N80

exp.

No contest there. As far as camera body features go, the Maxxum 7 is far superior to the N80. Then again, for $200 more, wouldn't you expect it.

As an owner of the Maxxum 7, I would say its great features would hardly be enough of a reason to buy pick the Minolta system over the Nikon system. You need to decide what you want out of a camera system and then pick the sytem that offers what you want.

The Maxxum Camera offers more than the Nikon camera in question. The Nikon system offers more accessories and lenses (at a greater price... and, be honest, can you afford a 1200mm lens even in Nikon offers one where Minolta dosen't?)

Minolta (with Minolta lenses) offers you coverage from 17mm to 400mm (and futher, but I don't have personal experience with anything longer than 400mm in the Minolta line.)

Nikon may gain you a few mm on the wide end (at the expensive of many greenbacks) and quite a few more mm on the long end (again, at quite a cost...I've driven cars that cost me less than most Nikon lenses over 400mm)

If you're not going to make a living with your camera I'd recomend the Minolta system... if you MUST have that 1000mm+ glass to get the photos to bring home the bacon then use whatever system has the glass you need. I've just found that the Minolta system offers more for me, given my current funding levels for photography (nothing cost more than $800 in my current photogear collection.)

Maxxum 7 is in a different class than N80. N80 is strictly a mid-tier consumer body, offering essentially the standard set of features for that class of camera. Maxxum 7 is situated mid-way between the professional class and the mid-tier consumer class. It offers the feature set normally associated with serious-amateur/professional bodies, plus a few innovative frills, but without the high class construction quality and environmental resistence normally built into other serious-amateur/professional. Think of Maxxum 7 as a camera with capabilities approaching a F100/EOS3, but with built more like a N80/Elan 7. If the extra $200-300 of the maxxum price tag doesn't mean too much to you, Maxxum 7 offers more as a body.<p>

Regarding the Nikon/Minolta systems, it is true Nikon offers a larger and more extensive array of lenses and other accessories. But 95% of the user will never come close to utilizing the full potential of Minolta system. For them the extras offered by Nikon is quite moot. For most users the main advantage of the Nikon system is a much better established network of lenses rental locations that caters to your lens renting needs.

The Nikon N(F)80 is my first SLR and I am really impressed with it. As I can not speak for any other SLR I will just say that everything on it feels right, it's a good weight for hiking and you have full contol over your pictures (manual modes). Happy shopping!

I agree with most of the posters above. I have the Maxxum 7, and am very happy with it, but it is true that the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax system isn't as large in numbers of lenses as Nikon's. As a former Nikon owner (N90s) I think that many Nikon lenses and accessories are needlessly overpriced given that better products can be had for less money in other lines, including Minolta. Second-hand, Minolta can be a real bargain compared to Nikon (OTOH, Nikon resale is pretty good).

If you need special lenses, macro bellows and other less common accessories, then Nikon is the way to go. But comparing body features, the Maxxum 7 beats the N80 completely. If you like off-camera with a wireless flash control, think about the Maxxum.

If you're looking at the Maxxum 7, there really isn't anything else that's in its category. It fits between the N80 and the F100, or in Canon the Elan 7 and the EOS 3. If you're looking at a camera in this range, check out how the camera feels to you and see which system fits your needs. Look at all the major systems; Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Pentax.