Slapped in the Face

b_va

Is it just me or do others get "slapped in the face" when quickly

advancing film? The situation is best described as this: when

shooting in situation that requires rapid film advancing I find that

I lose my grip and the camera body literally slaps me in the cheek. I

am left eye dominant and position my fingers using the classic Leica

grip (forefinger on aperture ring, index finger on focus tab and

thumb vertically between along the backside of the camera body.

Outside of buying a winder/motor what would you suggest I try to

counter this annoying "back swing"? Thanks for your thoughts

I've never had that problem, but my grip sounds nothing like what you describe. While advancing the film, I support the weight of the camera with my left hand. In vertical orientation (viewfinder down, shutter release up), most weight is on my thumb which is at about the 3 o'clock position (facing the front of the camera) on the lens focusing ring. Horizontally, the weight is distributed between my index finger (wrapped around bottom of lens) and other fingers supporting the camera body.

I'm not following your description of the hold. On my hand, my forefinger and first finger are the same one, but it sounds like you've got two? :-)

Anyway, are you holding your left hand palm in or palm out? I see a lot of folks with their left hand backwards, palm out, which really looks bozo-amateur; the "classic" camera position before auto-everything was to hold the camera in the LEFT hand, palm in, by the lens between the thumb and first two fingers, with the body on top of the curled up last two fingers (under the camera body); the right hand just balances the camera, not holds it, and runs the shutter release and winding. I'm left eyed and never had a bit of problem working this way--with the VF way over on the left, the Leica M is far better for lefties than any other 35mm ever made.

<<I get slapped in the face every time I get a new camera.>>

Trevor, duck next time! <gg> Or

Regarding your issue, I learned to use my right-eye with rangefinder cameras a few years ago, while I'm steadfastly left-eyed with my SLR's. The only other real option, IMO is to buy some sort of alternate winding device like a Rapidwinder, Motor, or Winder.

If you resist the right-eyed approach, you'll continue to have that problem. I use the M's in a left-eye mode sometimes, and it's not very easy to advance the film rapidly with my face in the way. Work on the right-eyed way, it really is better for RF shooting. It also lets you interact with your subject more naturally using that left-eye, rather than hiding behind the camera.

I fail to understand how a camera can hit you while you advance the film in it. But I also fail to understand the 'you <i>must</i> focus the Leica with your right eye' attitude that some photo.netters come close to. Is there a set of dogmas that define orthodox Leica photography?