Nikon Lens 17-35mm f/2.8

anson_quach1

<p>Hi,<br>

I learned from Michael and Shun from this forum that my Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 lens needs to be repaired after several test shots.<br>

I sent it back to Nikon Repair Center and got an estimate $505.<br>

The problems described by Nikon:<br>

TO GWO MOUNT BENT, ZOOM STIFF, PICS COME OUT DARK.<br>

It is worth it to spend $505 to repair and how much approximately I can sell it on Ebay before or after repair?<br>

Thank you for your help.<br>

Anson</p>

<p>This was the previous discussion: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00U1Ud">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00U1Ud</a><br>

The $505 repair cost seems rather high. Perhaps this lens is badly damaged.</p>

<p>If it is in good condition, the 17-35mm/f2.8 AF-S should worth over $1000. Perhaps you want to send it to Authorized Photo Service for another repair estimate??</p>

<p>Typically, Nikon USA would charge you about $200 to $250 for a moderate repair. Maybe your lens is really messed up. I think it doesn't hurt to get a second estimate. A lot of us have good experience with APS: <a href="http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/">http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/</a><br>

They are in Chicago but they also tend to be expensive.</p>

<p>Did you buy this lens new as the original owner? Did it work fine before? If it has been dropped with serious damage, perhaps the $505 repair estimate makes sense. In that case you may have to bite the bullet.</p>

<p>Whether it is worthwhile to spend some money on shipping to get a second estimate is up to you to decide.</p>

<p>"GWO means Good Working Order."</p>

<p>Hmm...bent mount, stiff zoom and dark pics (possibly due to aperture diaphragm failure)..it is hard to believe that it is in good working order. The lens seems to have been dropped while mounted on the camera.</p>

<p><em>It is worth it to spend $505 to repair and how much approximately I can sell it on Ebay before or after repair?</em><br>

<em></em><br>

Naturally, you'll be clear about it's condition should you out it on ebay before repair. We wouldn't want to be the unfortunate buyer should you decide to 'throw it down the well' that is ebay.</p>

<p>I dropped my 24-70mm last year and the cost of that repair was about GBP 500 which was about USD 750 at the time so it is not impossible to have nasty bills for this kind of thing. The damage was purely internal (helicoid was broken) and just the parts bill was something like GBP 300.<br>

It was as good as new when it came back from Nikon UK and if anything its optical performance was better as it had received the right kind of attention from the right kind of repairman.<br>

Getting a great lens like the 17-35mm repaired well is not money wasted - painful though the expense is. Does your insurance cover it?</p>

<p>Clive.... He said nothing to indicate he wouldn't, and in fact clearly asked for two prices which can only be different if the descriptions are different. Ebay is a great source of equipment if you use your head. Don't make generalizations.</p>

<p>Anson.... With a good listing (big, clear pics and full-sentence descriptions) you should get about $1200 for a properly working lens. More for one just back from Nikon, maybe even $1300+. I see three that sold with box and case and everything for almost $1400. Take off 8-10% for fees. As-is, not stopping down, the lens will probably go for $500-600. Minus 8-10% for fees. But I'd fix it and keep it and shoot it!</p>

<p>"Hmm...bent mount, stiff zoom and dark pics (possibly due to aperture diaphragm failure)..it is hard to believe that it is in good working order. The lens seems to have been dropped while mounted on the camera." Nikon isn't saying it IS in Good Working Order. Nikon is giving you an estimate to repair it to Good Working Order.</p>

<p>Antohy, thanks for the clarification. However, if the lens is not in good working order after the repair, what is the purpose? Or does it mean, if you pay more, the lens will be as good as new (I mean, cosmetically, too)?</p>

<p>Hi all,<br>

I really appreciate all your help. especially from Shun and Michael.<br>

I bought this lens brand new from B&H 11/08/05 and paid $1484.95 - $100 rebate and I still have the invoice. I used it no more than five times since.<br>

I lent it to my uncle on a trip this year. He probably dropped it! Only recently I started noticing the pictures way over exposed. $505 seems reasonable to repair since the resale value around $1000.<br>

I will probably have it repaired and keep it.<br>

Thanks all again.<br>

Anson</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi all,<br>

I told Nikon to repair my lens. <br>

I am looking to buy a high quality mid zoom lens to go with my 17-35mm f/2.8. on D700.<br>

I am thinking of Nikon 24-85mm f2.8-4 or Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8. for general shootings.<br>

Please suggest. <br>

Thank you for your suggestions.<br>

Anson</p>