Question

jdemoss99

<p>Not to be contrary, but save your money until your shooting style develops and you know what you're missing from your kit. It might be that you get on fine with the lenses you have, and the less time spent wondering which lens you should have on your camera means more time with your eye at the finder. It's easy to get bogged down by filters, reflectors, flashes and lenses, all of which is more to carry and to think about. Go out and shoot with what you've got, if you're really desperate to spend, then software / hardware and a photography course might offer more than accessories... George</p>

<p>So Javier... that 31mm is a bit awkward for you eh?? awkward as in dont-use-it-much-and-so-wouldnt-mind-selling-it?? :)<br>

Jordan, I think it will be difficult to cover both landscape and portrait with just one lens... but I think there is a 17-70 lens with constant aperture that might do the trick... maybe someone else can chime in on that lens... I can't remember what it was exactly...</p>

<p>interesting input and a word to the two Michaels don't make me put you all in time out Lol! I love getting the input of such knowledgeable people Somanna and Javier. Just kidding I just woke up and was up most of the night with the baby so I am a little happy tired right now and in a picking mood. Everyone has given great advice and thanks. Keep it coming. I am going in the next few days downtown and doing some night shots of models in an old alley way to see what I come up with. Anyone ever done this and have any suggestions. Remeber my bag consists of a couple of lenses and the built in flash. But I am eager to try these since I thought about them a few weeks ago.</p>

<p>If you want to read more about the DA17-70/4, I (and some others) are discussing it some in <a href="00U8eO">this other current thread</a> . If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and only the built-in flash in your bag, you might get more out of accessory flash like an AF-540FGZ than another lens.</p>

<p>I use the Quay UV on both my 28-80mm (58mm) and my 50mm (52mm) and I got them for the simple reason that they were cheap insurance against scratches. My M-I-L is getting more serious about her photography and since she lives out in LA she takes advantage of being so close to the ocean by getting lots of sand and salt water spray all over her Rebel's kit lens. It looks pretty bad but hasn't effected her photos yet (that I can tell without a compass and a protractor). I have a Polarizer for the 28-80 (58mm) but I rarely use it since I lose so much light in the process. Bottom line is although the UV filter cost me around $20 its easier and more cost-effective to replace a $20 filter than even a $100 kit lens.</p>

<p>That said, Sometimes I really wish that my 28-80 was wider, but rarely do I wish it was longer. I think a 21mm or a 10-20 zoom would benefit me sometimes, but for the type of photography I do the 50mm lives on my camera. I prefer to zoom with my feet in most cases. When I get a Dslr I believe that the 28-80 will not only be not wide enough for me, but the long end will be perfect. I have the wait-and-see idea about what I'll need when that time comes.</p>

<p>I don't really use any filters all the time. Every once in a while I'll get an idea and throw on the polarizer, but then I usually follow the polarizer with a red enhancing filter to destroy that sickly greenish over tone that the polarizer seems to enhance! Then I end up taking off both filters and just shoot it normal.<br>

After doing a few test, I'm not sure of how much effect filters actually have on digital. On film, I would use a polarizer most of the time to get better colors and darker skys. I tried two shots once to see the difference between using a polarizer and not. In that particular case, there was no difference between the two shots. And I was pointing at a 90 degree angle of the sun for maximum polarization.<br>

As for filters that are a perminant fixture of the lens for protection, I follow this rule. If I'm not looking or about to look through the viewfinder, the lens cap is on. If I must leave the cap off for quick actions shots, the lens hood is always in place.</p>

<p>Have fun with your new lens Jordan,<br>

-Jon</p>

<p>The F 50/1.7 is great. But the colors do run a little cool. So a 1B filter might be just what the doctor ordered!</p>

<p>Seriously, Jordan, use the F 50 1.7 for your next 100 portraits, then reassess - I doubt you'll need another lens.</p>

<p>my favorite lens is the 21mm - It's the first lens I reach for when I want to take a walk with camera - it has the ability to let you stand closer to objects than the 43mm. It's quite compact and very well designed. <br>

And, I have used the lens for portraiture, with no visible distortion... I should put a sample, yes? :)</p><div>00UBA5-163761884.jpg.a4801e37ea33f50451c2f5126311f12a.jpg</div>