135/2 DC : Wow, and interested in experience with Defocus Control

bmm

<p>Kinda funny that the same week as Nikon launches two new bodies and two 'new' (probably more accurate to say refreshed) bits of glass, here I am down in little old Sydney totally enraptured with a lens which was launched I believe 14 years ago - in 1995.</p>

<p>Yes, a much anticipated 'new toy' arrived on Wednesday and after a weekend of shooting I have to conclude that the 135/2 DC is an absolute freak. Sharpness and colour rendition is splendid, and interestingly its 'sweet spot' aperture (based on my humble gut feel) is not the usual f/8 to f/11 of other lenses but if fact is far wider open, maybe around f/4.</p>

<p>Bottom line is that I've only had this level of initial 'wow' with one other lens, the 85/1.4. And in saying this I want to thank Ilkka and Nina right here on photo.net who through their images and advice were significant factors in my deciding to get this particular lens.</p>

<p>Now for the questions...</p>

<p>The main one is to ask anyone else who uses the Nikon DC models for their advice and experience with using this feature. I've read up on it and understand the basics (though over the weekend I left it on 'neutral' in order to start learning the lens as a basic prime). But what works for you? Do you use it? What do you think about it?</p>

<p>A smaller one is just a curious observation, but I'll put it out there. Seems to me like Nikon has their primes over 50mm <strong><em>incredibly</em></strong> right, with the 60, both 85's, both 105's, the 135, the 180 and the 200 all being regarded as star lenses and having many fans. At 50mm and below, not suggesting that there are any shockers but neither are there any lenses really with that same sense of 'wow' and universal acclaim. The 35/2 is probably the best of the lot at the wider end. I wonder why this is?...</p>

<p>I'm glad you enjoy that beast. Probably the coolest lens i've ever used.</p>

<p>As for DC control:<br>

I find on my D300 that the 135 back focuses (at f/2 - f/3.2) like a mofo. My fix? I keep the DC control on F2. So now, at f/2, it's sharp sharp sharp. :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nina<br>

Have you tried to use the focus fine tune on your D300? I did on mine with my 135 DC and now it is sharp sharp sharp wide open with the DC set to neutral<br>

Most of the time that is the way I shoot it. Every once in a while I will use the DC control. Remember to refocus the lens when you adjust the DC controls.<br>

Have fun with it.</p>

<p>I seem to be in luck because my early shooting sees it performing stupid sharp even at neutral. But I'll do some more detailed tests this coming weekend and adjust if required.</p>

<p>Hey silly question maybe but were you guys surprised when you first got this lens at just how deep the first of the rear elements is recessed from the lens mount? I believe the first bit of glass inside the back is just a thin dust shield, not even an optically active element. And for a while I was worried that it was missing on mine because its a good 10mm or more inside the back of the lens - not flush at the rear like on most other lenses I have.</p>

<p>lol also at Nina for your calling it 'the beast'. Heavier, and only a fraction shorter, than the 180mm. But I'm still in the 'love at first sight' phase so for a while yet I'll be holding off on such nicknames and sticking to 'my precious' :-)</p>

<p>Good teles could be designed long ago. Wide-angles for SLR, however, are a relatively new thing and increased skill and the availability of affordable aspherical elements has improved them a lot.<br>

Personally I would like to see a new version of the 135/2 without the DC, AF-S thrown in and image quality turned up a notch still. Of course it needs to focus close enough since adding extension rings to these G lenses doesn't work.</p>

<p >I've had the 105mm f2 DC for about 2 years now, and it's been one of my most used lenses since then. But I haven't used the DC feature at all! I experiment with it every now and then, when an obvious opportunity pops up, like a branch in the foreground I can't get out of the way. I'll try shooting the same picture with the DC ring in all sorts of positions, and don't really see much difference honestly.</p>

<p >When I was shopping for a 105mm, I considered the Micro-Nikkor f2.8 VR, but decided the extra stop was more important to me than VR and close focusing. Don't regret my decision at all.</p>