Nikon D3000 Quick Review

ShunCheung

<p>Thanks to Nikon USA for loaning us one of the few D3000 bodies available in the US, I played around with one for a couple of days and did a short write up:<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D3000/review/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D3000/review/</a></p>

<p>This was the first time I used an entry-level DSLR. It is certainly quite different from the D2X and D700 I am familiar with. While it shares some major components with the D200, it is amazing how tiny the D3000 is. We have a friend who has a 6-year-old daughter who is fairly interested in photography. She played around with the camera and captured some very decent images with it.</p>

<p>Indoors, the 18-55mm kit zoom at f5.6 is somewhat limiting. I put an SB-800 on it. While the flash is large relative to the D3000, it still feels fine.</p>

<p>Looks like a great camera to introduce people to DSLRs. </p>

<p>As for the size, I recently had my D40 (similar size) around a bunch of kids (6-10 years old). They were all able to use it to make some nice shots (after I put the neck strap around their neck and showed them how to look through the viewfinder). Little cameras can be fun for the whole family!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>This camera eliminates the short comings of the D40/D60 bodies. I think this will be Nikon's best selling consumer camera so far. After shooting one for several hours I feel confident giving it 4 3/4 stars. If Nikon wan't five stars then it would need dof preview, two command dials, and a top plate lcd screen. Oh...thats the D90.</p>