Buy a secondhand TLR - Need advices

nicolas_huon

<p>Hi all,</p><br/>

<p>I'm currently considering to buy a secondhand TLR to discover the medium format. I've been using a digital camera for 2 years now and I recently found myself cropping a lot of pictures to fit a square format, more suited to the kind of pictures I have in mind. I try to compose with the crop in mind but it stills bother me and post-cropping starts to be a bit annoying.</p><br/>

<p>I've done some research on 6x6 film camera and TLRs seem to be a good option. Considering my budget (max 100euros ~140usd), I'm very interested in the Yashica Mat 124G or a cheaper Seagull (4A, 4B). I don't want to spend too much on a TLR for now since I'm new to this. I'll consider buying a Rollei later if I enjoy my first experience.</p><br/>

<p>I'm currently in Shanghai and found some second hand camera shops with quite a lot of TLRs. Having no experience with such cameras, I would like some advices or some sort of checklist to know if the camera is well functioning (lightmeter, winder, screen, lenses, ...). I've asked a few sellers but they seem very optimistic about their cameras and I don't know if I can fully trust them, added to the fact that there seems to be no refund policy.<br>

Any advice concerning TLRs is also welcomed.</p><br/>

<p>Thanks in advance.<br>

Nicolas</p>

<p>The light meter in a used TLR will be problematic. Get a new inexpensive separate meter, such as the Sekonic L-208, and use that. (Such meters have an incident metering mode. Learn how to use that if you don't know already.) As long as the lens has no scratches or fungus, the shutter works, and the camera hasn't been hideously abused, almost any TLR will produce great images.</p>

<p>Don't even think about buying a used camera without a refund policy.</p>

<p>Also, don't give up if the WLF with its backwards image drives you nuts at first: once you get used to it, you'll like it.</p>

<p>The Seagull is what you don't want. The 124G is a very nice camera with a great lens but a bit overpriced, a 124 would be a good choice. Ricoh TLr and Minolta autocord is a good advice. Also, you may try some nice and inexpensive TLR such as Toyocaflex, they're well made.</p>

<p>First, be sure you will use it. I bought a mint Autocord (without light meter) for about 275$ last year, as it offered multiple exposure facility which I lacked on my RF medium format camera (Mamiya 6) and which I needed for a project. Maybe it will get more use than the few rolls I put through it, but it may not have been the best purchase for my photography, as I find it more cumbersome to operate than the RF camera.</p>

<p>That said, it is an excellent quality TLR (not quite as good as the better f3.5 Rolleiflexes, but a lot less expensive). It's age (50 years old) means it is important to have someone who can service it. Also true for the Yashica 124 (and other TLRs, of course), which tends to sell for the same price.</p>

<p>I recently found an early Yashica Mat (late '50s) in excellent working condition for less than $100. A great buy. The Yashica Mat is essentially the same as the later 124 and 124G but more solidly built (no plastic). The lens is the same fine Tessar-type Yashinon. The Mat LM and EM model have an uncoupled meter, but I've always found elderly selenium meters less than dependable.<br>

The nice thing about the Yashica Mats is that they go for lower prices than the 124G models which seem to be in great demand. I've never found the lack of a light meter a shortcoming.</p>

<p>I have used the Mamiyas, Rolleicord, and Rolleiflex. they are built well, have a lot of support and accessories, parts, etc. Many were made too, so parts are available. I still have a Rolleiflex from 1950, just tested it today, still works, lens is super clear. I won't get much if I sell it. I figure if a camera is working after 50 years, must be a good design. Mamiyas are heavier, but you can exchange lenses on the C330. Use a tripod and a meter for best results. Rollei's are very lightweight, especially the older ones. some of those could use an adapter for using 35mm film, too. </p>

<p>I have used the Mamiyas, Rolleicord, and Rolleiflex. they are built well, have a lot of support and accessories, parts, etc. Many were made too, so parts are available. I still have a Rolleiflex from 1950, just tested it today, still works, lens is super clear. I won't get much if I sell it. I figure if a camera is working after 50 years, must be a good design. Mamiyas are heavier, but you can exchange lenses on the C330. Use a tripod and a meter for best results. Rollei's are very lightweight, especially the older ones. some of those could use an adapter for using 35mm film, too. </p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your answers.<br>

Indeed, the Autocord and diacord also look good. Have anyone actually tried the Autocord? How does the focus lever feel? Is it convenient compared to a knob? I also read that it's pretty fragile.<br>

I guess all the cameras mentioned can deliver good results. I'll try to find one of those in a good condition next time.<br>

I mentioned Seagull because they are made in Shanghai and have plenty of them here, and I think easier to get repaired. I've seen some very decent pictures online using this camera and what really matters to me now is to get started with MF with decent IQ. But I'll definitely go for something like a 124 or Autocord first. Let's say it's a backup plan in case I don't find anything interesting. After all, they are very cheap.<br>

One more question: I don't have any handheld light meter right now. Can I check if a built-in light meter is working using a camera? (I have both digital and film, does it make a difference?)<br>

Thanks again<br>

Nicolas</p>

<p>I would recommend getting a Rolleiflex w/ Xenar 3.5 lens. They take great photos, and if a TLR turns out to be not your cup of tea they are in demand, so you would not have any trouble selling it. Keep in mind that some very nice and economical MF folders shoot 6x6 too. I would not go w/ a Seagull. Compared to a Rolleiflex they are just nor built very well, and you should be able to find a nice Rollei for $200 if you are patient.</p>

<p>Nicolas,</p>

<p>The focussing lever works very well and I personally prefer it to the knob I had on another TLR camera. I have heard that it is fragile, but that doesn't seem to be the case with mine which appears very sturdy. It's motion is slightly dampened (so it can stay put when set) although quite responsive, but it is possible that some more impatient types may have in the past treated it too roughly.</p>

<p>I have had a Seagull and threw it away. Don't buy one if you're half serious about your images. I got some amazing results from a Rolleicord, much cheaper than a Rolleiflex. Here's one taken in Shanghai with the Rolleicord:<br>

http://bit.ly/1aX29H<br>

Yashica Mat 124G is also in my collection and is great.<br>

I also live in Shanghai but found all my cameras on eBay. The Shanghai prices were on the high side and the choices were more limited. And of course it is harder to assess the condition with local dealers.</p>

<p>I thought about buying a Seagull, but after reading here, I think I may just go with a Yashica. I'm going to be visiting Yokosuka, Japan in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone here knows where to go to find a good Yashica...hopefully for no more than $200.</p>