Panasonic G1. Noise at base ISO?

d_balzac

<p>Hi, I see very strong noise at ISO 100. Is it normal? Please see example below. Both shot raw 1/125 f5.6, ISO100. On the left after noise ninja and on the right before. I find noise on the right too strong for base ISO. Is something wrong with my camera? should it go back to Panasonic? Thank you for your help.</p>

<p>I am not sure if the picture on the right has any "noise," that is typically associated with ISO, although the one on the left looks clearer. The one on the right may have JPEG artifacts or other factors caused by improperly converting the RAW data. Is the picture on the right a real "RAW" file or is it a JPEG converted from RAW? It is most likely the latter, correct?, as I don't know how one can upload and show a RAW file. If the latter, what software did you use for the conversion? There is very few software that can do that effectivetly, and I think ACR can do a very good job on that, see dpreview's review. Do you have a JPEG straight out of the camera, which are supposed to be very good and require very little post-processing? </p>

<p>The lower left corner in the original image shows maze-like patterns which seems to be JPEG artifact rather than the noise. It might be caused by the rare interference of AA filter but I'm not sure.</p>

<p>Off topic:<br>

Personally, I'm not big fan of Noise Ninja type of noise reduction: NN works great to make clean images look, but, when applied to portraiture, the skin looks too artificial (much like computer graphics) to me.</p>

<p>Looks more like a RAW conversion issue than noise. THe G1 is very low noise at ISO 100 so you should not see any noise. It looks to me like a conversion issue - try shooting a dark grey or black background as this is an easy way to see noise issues - look at the RAW and compare to the conversion</p>

<p>CC Chang. JPG out of camera is horible even at ISO 100, RAW files from Lightroom look better then JPG. But to get clarity I am looking for I need to do Noise Ninja with custom profiles. So, look like my camera have issues? Cheers</p>

<p>Around the hair in both images, I would observe "mosquito noise" (looks like air turbulance or heat haze) which is one of the well-known JPEG artifacts that appears especially when excessive compression is applied. So I would think the "noise" you are talking about may have appeared "after" you had converted RAW to JPEG in the last stage of post processing.</p>

<p>Noise Ninja smoothes out the detail, so there will be nothing on the skin to turn into maze-like artifact when compressed as JPEG. Have you tried better quality JPEG (less compression)?</p>

<p>Vivek: Will do.Thank you<br>

Akira. you right, i posted JPEG file of my Lightroom screen dump. Let me post 100% crop from the same RAW image exported at 100% JPEG and you will see what I mean. Thank you in advance for trying to help.</p><div>00U7nT-161589584.jpg.0899dea596af2e528c7bc6b90c8b420a.jpg</div>

<p>D,</p>

<p>That looks rather like goose bumps than noise. Hi-res digicams like G1 reveal much more details than naked eyes can usually perceive. The details will look even more obvious when you browse the image at 100%.</p>

<p>Personally I don't think you should worry about that.</p>