Do I really need a 300s?

arun_seetharam

<p>Ditto Robert. Nikon appears to have given added incentive to upgrade from a lesser model, but not from the D300. </p>

<p>I, myself, can't imagine needing more than the D300 for a long time into the future. I'm hoping this latest introduction will help to bring down the price of used and remaining new D300's to the point I can relegate my D80 - which I am still growing into - to backup status.</p>

<p>On a different thought, I wish Nikon would choose a letter that wouldn't be confused with the plural form of an older model...</p>

<h1>"Do I really need a 300s?"</h1>

<p>Always the inevitable question as new products hit the marketplace, in this case the upgrade that hits every 6-9 months with DSLR's. The fact you ask is justification that marketing works and has got you nibbling. The reality is this forum most likely will not help you decide...you seem to want the newest Nikon on the block. <br /> For me its not an issue, I still shoot with the same DSLR I bought back in 2007 and 3 successors have since then hit the marketplace.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't know if you need it. I know few guys that shoot weddings with D200 and D2x and have no intentions on moving up anytime soon. Their reasoning is that lighting style haven't changed, still same camera setting, image quality in print is still the same (lab does color correction) thus they have no need to upgrade.<br>

So do you need the new toy? It is a Q only you can answer.<br>

Adam</p>

<p>As a D80 user, the D300s looks like the best option for me to upgrade to as I can still use all of my SD cards. So in a year or two, when I decide to get a newer camera, that would be the way that I would go. I do not see any reason to go from my current D80 to a D90 or D300. I have a couple of DX lenses, so going towards the D700 is even less of an option.</p>

<p>I would imagine that the ISO performance will be slightly better simply because it usually improves as they come out with newer internal parts. Even though they may have the same internals the firmware may improve ISO performance.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

There's probably not going to be enough difference to matter in most cases. Except for the video, I was shooting the Druid Peak wolf pack in Yellowstone using a D80 and a 500mm last fall. Nothing real exciting then a moose came wondering down into the valley. Evidently he had not seen the wolves but they saw him. A chase ensued down Lamar valley that I would have given just about anything to have been able to switch over to video. It would have been a great video.

So, for me the video is the thing. I don't have to switch equipment. I don't have to carry more equipment.

I just have to be there! As soon as I read a couple of test reports I fully expect to have a 300s in my bag.

Just my perspective on what might never be needed but if it is I know I would regret not having the "s".

Good luck!

Jeff