Wedding Photography Insurance

chimera_h

<p>I've read some posts on getting liability insurance, however, I need a little more info.</p>

<p>I'm fairly new to photography, so I'm still getting the business side of things together. I was hired to do a wedding and now the bride wants to change the bridal party photo shoot location to a resort. </p>

<p>This resort requires the following:<br>

<strong>Insurance Requirements<br /> <br /> Commercial General Liability (including contractual and products liability): <em>$2,000,000</em> <br /> <br /> 2. Workers’ Compensation of Employer’s Liability:<br /> <br /> A. Worker’s Compensation – Statutory Limits<br /> B. Employer’s Liability - $500,000<br /> <br /> Automotive Liability (covering all owned non-owned and hired vehicles):<br /> 1,000,000 per occurrence<br /> </strong></p>

<p>Is this what is usually required by hotels and other photo opp. locations? While I realize prices may vary, how much would insurance like this cost? What is the best place to go with? PPI?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help~</p>

<p>You should have liability insurance already. That is one of the most important elements involved with being a 'professional'. Once you have liability insurance you will have to take out a rider for the amounts specified by the venue. The cost varies, but they aren't outrageous. You'll have to take proof of it with you to the venue. <br>

You can have liability insurance through any insurance company. Check around for the best rates and coverage.</p>

<p>If you are a member of PPA get it through them. Just log onto the website and click on member benefits. you can buy everything you need from liability to equipment insurance. I actually just bought my renters insurance and auto insurance with them because it saved me $350 a year on my premium. I purchased all of my insurance through them. that's why they are there.....if you are not a member I recommend signing up</p>

<p >I think the best place to go is either your local Professional Photographers Association or a Professional Insurance Broker.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Although Insurance Issues vary from country to country I am sure there will be several "Packages" specifically made for Location Photography / Professional Photographers. I used an Insurance Broker to ferret out those companies which cater specifically for Photographers and make packages for them.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Although mostly all Insurance Companies might have Professional Packages which might suit a range of self employed people, one of the benefits I have found in dealing with a Company which write Insurances for many Photographers, is the industry understanding they have acquired. </p>

<p ></p>

<p >As one example, if a venue asked me for an oddment outside my comprehensive cover - like that vehicle insurance - they would likely write that as an amendment just for that particular gig - that might vary in your jurisdiction, but I just ring my Broker and describe what is required and he advises if there will be a fee or not - usually there is not, as I have my policy pretty comprehensive in the first instance. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Another option is . . . I recall noting that on my login here at Photonet, (as a subscriber), I am offered Professional Insurance cover at a discount - but I think it would be only useful for those residing in the USA - you might check that avenue, if you are in the USA – but I think you need to be a Photonet Subscriber, I am not sure.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>If you are a photo.net member you can get liability insurance through photo.net. check out the members section. The company they use specializes in our coverage including videographers. I insure my second shooters as well as myself. The price seems very reasonable and the company is reputable. :)) </p>