debating between 70mm 2.8 or 150mm 4.0 for a Mamiya 645 (manual focus)

jared_angle

<p>So far I've only dealt with Nikon slr cameras, but i tried out a cheap lomography 120 format camera, and i find myself frustrated with its reliability, but I'm still very interested on getting into medium format photography, and have decided on the M645.</p>

<p>When it comes to lenses, I was thinking of getting just one or two basic, inexpensive ones for now, and learn the system before I expand. I realize that much like DX vs. FX or 35mm on a small format slr have differences due to the crop rate, I figured it would be the same using 120.</p>

<p>So my question is... i've been looking at the 70mm f/2.8 and the 150mm f/4 because of their lower prices, but I'm not aware of what their specific uses or specifications are beyond their focal length and f number. If anybody could clue me in to what kind of view they'd provide in comparison to a lens such as a Nikkor 50mm on 35mm would, that would be great.</p>

<p>The 150mm 645 is equivalent to 90mm in 35mm format.<br>

The 70mm is about 42mm in 35mm format.<br>

Multiply the 645 lens focal length by about 0.6 to find the 35mm format equivalent.<br>

The 70mm 2.8 is a special lens in that it has a leaf shutter, i.e. the shutter is in the lens. As a consequence of that you can use that lens and the camera at any shutter speed with a flash. Great for daylight fill as you are not locked to a 1/60th second or longer shutter speed.<br>

The 70mm is a great and sharp lens, among my favorites for my M645 100S. I'm a wide angle - landscape sort of junkie.<br>

The very oldest 150mm are reported as to have lens element separation, or so the internet stories go.<br>

As for total lens line up, you have the 35mm, 45, 55, 70, 3 flavors of 80mm, 110, 150, 210, 300 and 500mm I believe.<br>

Stick with "C" lenses for better contrast and flare taming (C means coated).<br>

Jim.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response, it was very helpful.<br>

I'll have to remember to save that scale so I can compare the lenses again in the future...</p>

<p>I'm thinking that I will go ahead and pick up the 70mm when I get my 645, it sounds great!</p>

<p>Jared-<br /> Best damn site on the web for manuals ... Mike Butkus at-<br /> http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya.htm<br /> Donate if you download, it's a superb place.<br /> Good stuff too-<br /> http://johnlind.tripod.com/mamiya/mamiyatext.html<br /> It's a fun camera and my "lightweight" MF for walking around. When I get silly-serious I pull out my RB67 and get my weight lifting in too :-)<br /> I've gone "MF happy" since gear prices have fallen to such ludicrous levels, all the stuff I drooled over years ago.<br /> Welcome to the addiction.<br /> Jim</p>

<p>Dave-<br /> To preserve this thread for future searches ...<br /> You are correct. In my fuzzy mind I meant to type "stick with "N" lenses" and somehow got keyboard tied and spewed that silliness above. Old brain, 2 beers and an allergy pill :-( ...yikes!<br /> The N's are newer with a purportedly more effective anti-reflection coating scheme.<br /> I find that in the wide angles particularly, I see a bit of improvement in an N lens shot over that of a C.<br /> For teles, I must admit I'd be hard pressed to know one from the other.<br /> Thanks for waking me up !<br /> Jim</p>