mono pods

jerry_milroy

<p>I had this one and its very sturdy and fairly compact<br>

http://www.adorama.com/BG559B.html?searchinfo=Monopod</p>

<p>I ended up going with a really small Manfrotto Modo monopod because I wanted the smallest one possible but the 559B was very nice. You can use it with the head or without and the foot at the bottom made it feel very sturdy. Again I only returned it because I wanted ultra compact.</p>

<p>I'm going to go out on a limb and say as long as you don't have a really heavy camera it doesn't matter much. I've built pretty decent custom-height monopods from bits from home depot multiple times in the past (hint, PVC is a lot easier to build with than wood in these cases). I use a cheap Velbon these days because it compacts nicely and has a convertible spike/rubber foot for both indoor and dirt usage.</p>

<p>I use a carbon fiber Giotto model mm 8680. It is a professional model and very strong, but lightweight due to being carbon fiber. I use it with my Canon 400L f/2.8 is and a 1D III so quite a bit of weight. It also has interchangeable feet. I use mainly the rubber suction cup or the spike pad depending on the location and the event. This past weekend I was shooting the AMA Superbikes races and needed the suction cup as I was on blacktop most of the time.</p>