Boston Skyline

matt_p1

<p>"Or from some of the overpasses crossing Mass route #2 in Arlington."</p>

<p>A shot from Arlington will require a solid tripod and a long lens. And you'll get vibrations from traffic crossing the overpass. Skyline park in Arlington would be a better choice *if* you were coming here - but don't, even though it's a great place to live. There are much closer spots for shooting Boston.</p>

<p>Another good view is from some of the Harbor Islands (not exactly a walk, unless you've got webbed feet). The roof of the library at Tufts University is also an interesting view (but less Boston and more Charlestown). The most stunning sunset I've ever seen (no camera handy) was from the afore-mentioned park in Arlington... I actually didn't recognize the glowing orange ball as a sunset, and thought there must be some <em>event</em> happening in Boston.</p>

<p>The thing with Boston is that there are two skylines, one in the Commercial District and another in the Back Bay area.<br>

A great shot can be had on the Longfellow Bridge. there is a pedestrian walkway on the west side. this gives the classic view of Back Bay (John Hancock Tower, Prudential). The T goes by every now and then and the bridge shakes, but the cars have no effect. A quintessential Boston shot is from here with a sail boat on the Charles. Or, on a really calm day, the lights will reflect in the Charles. The red line has a stop a block or two from the entrance of the Bridge (MGH Station - though double check on that).<br>

I always liked the view from Columbus Park along the Waterfront. You'll get the classic Custom Building surrounded by the more modern buildings. After you're done, its a few steps away from the North End and great Italian restaurants.<br>

Almost forgot, the Prudential Building has an observation deck at the top. It is indoors and tripods, while officially not allowed, are tolerated. I've been there several times and only one person said something about it, and this was more like "Just so you know, I may have to ask you to put the tripod away if it gets too crowded." If you go, bring a black or dark colored jacket. The lights in the observation deck will reflect in the windows. <br>

Further out, head to East Boston (Mavrick Station on the Blue Line). The waterfront area is undergoing renovation. Some areas have nice walkways to shoot the Commercial District.<br>

Have Fun!</p>

<p>The thing with Boston is that there are two skylines, one in the Commercial District and another in the Back Bay area.<br>

A great shot can be had on the Longfellow Bridge. there is a pedestrian walkway on the west side. this gives the classic view of Back Bay (John Hancock Tower, Prudential). The T goes by every now and then and the bridge shakes, but the cars have no effect. A quintessential Boston shot is from here with a sail boat on the Charles. Or, on a really calm day, the lights will reflect in the Charles. The red line has a stop a block or two from the entrance of the Bridge (MGH Station - though double check on that).<br>

I always liked the view from Columbus Park along the Waterfront. You'll get the classic Custom Building surrounded by the more modern buildings. After you're done, its a few steps away from the North End and great Italian restaurants.<br>

Almost forgot, the Prudential Building has an observation deck at the top. It is indoors and tripods, while officially not allowed, are tolerated. I've been there several times and only one person said something about it, and this was more like "Just so you know, I may have to ask you to put the tripod away if it gets too crowded." If you go, bring a black or dark colored jacket. The lights in the observation deck will reflect in the windows. <br>

Further out, head to East Boston (Mavrick Station on the Blue Line). The waterfront area is undergoing renovation. Some areas have nice walkways to shoot the Commercial District.<br>

Have Fun!</p>