Advice re: AF-L setup on D60/D90

derek_linney

<p>I am used to shooting Canon DSLR's and my preferred set up is to have AF-Lock on the AF Button (recent cameras) or the *-Button (older cameras). The way it works is effectively Lock & Hold - once released it holds the focus. I then use the shutter release button (1/2 press) for AE-Lock and fully pressed for shutter release. On the Canon cameras with this setup the camera knows that I am controlling focusing so doesn't try to lock me out in either One Shot (AF-S) or AI-Servo (AF-C) mode irrespective of whether I achieved focus. This works fine for me.</p>

<p>Now on my D700 I can achieve the same thing by setting AEL/AFL Button to AF-ON (takes focus off the shutter release button and enables AF Lock (even if I then release the button - so it's effectively Lock & Hold) and setting the release priority mode of the shutter button to "release" so it doesn't lock me out.</p>

<p>BUT on my D60 and D90 I can't seem to set it up how I want. I can put AF-ON on the AEL/AFL Button. But now if I focus and lock focus (finger off the AEL/AFL button) and I recompose and go to take the shot it sometimes won't let me shoot because the camera thinks it hasn't achieved focus and therefore locks the shutter release. This seems to happen all the time in AF-S mode on both D60 and D90 and also in AF-C mode on the D60 but seems OK on D90.</p>

<p>Am I missing something in the setup?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have similar issues with my F80 - it's to do with Focus Priority vs Release Priority. On my F5 I can choose which one I want in which mode - in Focus Priority if you recompose then suddenly the AF point is not on the subject and as far as the camera is concerned it has lost focus and won't shoot. I have no way to alter this on the F80 as there is no custom function for this. On the F5 I have got both AF modes set to Release Priority and then it will take the photo regardless if it's in focus. Of course that means the onus is now on me to ensure it's in focus where I want.</p>