CANONET G-III QL 17 FLASH QUESTIONS

Hi to all.

I own a Canonet G-III QL 17. I know that when i mount a manual flash on the hot shoe and i select the proper NG on

the apertures ring, the correct aperture is automatically selected on the grounds of the focus distance measured by

RF.

This method work also with the manual flash linked by cord at the PC socket?

This method work only with the head flash in straight position or, also, in bounce flash?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks to all.

Ciao.

Vincenzo

<p>It doesn't matter whether the flash is connected via the hot shoe contact or the PC contact. Both will work fine and still allow the exposure system to work. There is not electrical contact with the flash except to fire it and no data flowing back and forth via extra hot shoe pins the way there is with modern flashes. As for bounce flash, the short answer is no because a bounced flash puts less light on the subject and the guide number would no longer be valid. But if you calculate what the guide number would be INCLUDING compensation for bounce, then it would theoretically work. Let's say your flash had a guide number of 92 (since that is one of the GN in feet marked on the Canonet), you would set the camera for 92 and it would know to set the aperture at about f/8 (actually about f/9.2) when focused at 10 feet. If bouncing lost two stop of light and you needed about f/4, you could set the guide number on the camera at 45 (since that's the closest GN available on the camera) and it would set the aperture to about f/4 (actually f/4.5) at 10 feet. This would only be practical if you're bouncing in a way that's consistent in the amount of light lost like a bounce card or diffuser attached to your flash. If you're bouncing off the ceiing and losing one stop on one shot and three stops on the next shot it would not be easy.</p>