M6 shutter jam

davidc1

<p>My M6 (classic) has jammed; this is the first time this has happened, I've had it over 10 years and not encountered this before. I've quickly searched the forums but couldn't find specific help...<br>

What Happened: - I rewound the film as normal, popped in a new one but when I went to wind it on it just wouldn't. The little "R" lever popped back into position but the shutter won't reset, it seems to be jammed and I don't want to force it, the shutter button is half down but won't fully push I did try pulling it back up using a cable release (advice from a forum post) but no luck. I didn't do anything unusual (it was 34C and 95% humid at the time so at first I thought it may have been just the heat). Looking at the shutter the blades are sitting half way through the film window.<br>

The camera recently had an overhaul to realign the rangefinder and at that time the shop also fixed a problem that I though was with the light meter (it was giving erratic readings for slow (asa 50) films but they traced the fault to the shutter speeds and fixed that. Do you think they buggered something up while they did this? It's had around 10 - 15 films through with no problems since the repair. They did the repairs in house and as an aside I'm not happy with a repair they did on one of my lenses that had a jammed aperture ring (they fixed the jam but the whole front element is way too loose now).<br>

I know the response will be take it to Leica and get it fixed but I was wondering if there was something easy I'm missing? <br>

thanks in advance<br>

davidc</p>

<p>I didn't get as far as winding the new film in. It was as I went to wind the leader into the takeup spool that I noticed it was jammed.<br>

I've had a good peer into the camera and can't see any bits of old film, looks like I've a trip to the repair shop coming up, meantime I'll dust off my scruffy old M4-P.<br>

thanks</p>

<p>Hi David,</p>

<p>I had what sounds like exactly the same problem with an M6ttl a few years ago. Although I could actually re-set the shutter with my finger and fire it, it jammed again as it was re-cocked.</p>

<p>I took it to the Leica shop in Vienna where Hannes Wahry, who has possibly examined more Leicas than anyone else in history, looked at it in amazement. "I've never seen anything like that", he said. It did turn out to be caused by a fragment of film in the shutter track.</p>

<p>As you say, the answer is to send the thing to Solms. They'll sort it out and, since they seem to be in a generous mood these days, will probably sort out any other issues too.</p>

<p>Cheers, Paul <br /><a href="http://www.paulhardycarter.com">www.paulhardycarter.com</a></p>

<p>Hi David,</p>

<p>I had what sounds like exactly the same problem with an M6ttl a few years ago. Although I could actually re-set the shutter with my finger and fire it, it jammed again as it was re-cocked.</p>

<p>I took it to the Leica shop in Vienna where Hannes Wahry, who has possibly examined more Leicas than anyone else in history, looked at it in amazement. "I've never seen anything like that", he said. It did turn out to be caused by a fragment of film in the shutter track.</p>

<p>As you say, the answer is to send the thing to Solms. They'll sort it out and, since they seem to be in a generous mood these days, will probably sort out any other issues too.</p>

<p>Cheers, Paul <br /><a href="http://www.paulhardycarter.com">www.paulhardycarter.com</a></p>