Newbee seeking advice for an unexpected offer.

<p>Hi,<br>

I am an amateur photographer but very serious about photography. I live in UK, Oflate I have been involving myself in shooting portraits and portfolios and yesterday I managed to get an offer from gumtree for a wedding shoot. The groom says he is on a budget hence cant afforda pro and his budget is only 200 £ for three hours of shoot and he says its be going to be a quiet affair with 20 guests. The marriage to happen in the register office and portraits to be taken at a college garden. Marriage time between 2.30 and 5.30 Late august.<br>

I have explained him about my inexperience in shooting wedding and I have not attended any british wedding before as I am a Indian living in UK only for the past year and a half..I want to do this as it would be a great experience for me but at the same time I got to be cautious since its wedding and the documentation is quiet important.<br>

I have canon 400d with kit lens, 50mm 1.8, 55-250mm IS, 430 ex and vivitar 285. All that I am worried about is my gear. I am not very comfortable shooting with the kit lens as it doesnt produce sharp images.<br>

I have no clue about wedding photography, What are the other legal stuffs that i should consider to be safe?. The groom sounds like he somehow wants me to take the pic because of his budge. I did show him my work as well which he said liked it..<br>

Here are my works - <a href="http://www.flickriver.com/photos/38251599@N07">http://www.flickriver.com/photos/38251599@N07</a><br>

Please friends suggest me how should I go about this.? What else would I need interms of lighting?<br>

I need to take a call now.<br>

Cheers,<br>

GK</p>

<p>As long as both sides know that the results may not be the same as hiring a seasoned pro, things should be fine. I would get it in writing though that you are not a wedding photographer and that basically they get what they get. Use kinder language than that though. You have some nice portraits in your gallery, but shooting formals is a bit more work. But then again, the marriage is happening at the register's office, so that is not very formal. You should talk to the couple, BOTH of them, find out what kind of pictures they would like, maybe search on the internet for examples together, and then you make a written list and start practicing. Make sure to have a written list on the day of the wedding, it will help you to make sure you get everything and will help you to keep from taking to much of their time.</p>

<p>I would ask what you mean when you say the lens doesn't produce sharp images. Even Canon kit lenses, used at apertures NOT wide open, will do OK. You need to pinpoint the reason for the lack of sharpness first. Otherwise, I'd advise getting a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens.</p>

<p>You should definitely have a contract. Do a search here on these forums and online in general. You should find ones that you can adapt.</p>

<p>I don't think you need any other lighting, particularly if you are not used to multiple flashes and the like. If you want to, read the articles at planetneil.com about using on camera flash.</p>

<p>Also read whatever you can of the threads under the Newcomers section on this forum.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot Dawn and Nadine.. Very informative responses.. One area I have not explored much are not comfortable at the moment is shooting with flash on camera and for such scenarios one may have to stick with on camera flash..<br>

The link u provided is very useful and something that i was looking for..I ll have a look.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Be aware of any restrictions that may be placed on using flash (or other activity, where to stand, etc.) in the registrar's office. They've arranged for the garden so it should be OK to shoot there. </p>

<p>You'll want to include in the contract any details on what you will be doing and when you will be doing it, and what products you will be delivering and when. You expect to shoot for three hours and then? He gets a memory card? Will you then charge additional for prints? Will they be placed on-line for direct ordering? What's a reasonable time frame for getting them on line ready for orders or for deliveries (prints, dvds, etc.) if you are doing them. Delivery schedule should be covered so you aren't driven into the ground by all of your obligations but also so they have a good idea of when to expect things. </p>

<p>How is he to pay and when? In the US it's common to get much of the payment before the event, not necessarily including things like individual print orders and sales but covering the time and perhaps legally holding the time and starting work so if things change, the funds received may not all be required to be returned. UK contract law should cover your needs but don't depend on many of the easily found US legal forms and practices to be suitable to use.</p>

<p>You may want to get local advice on copyright ownership and use of images for your own portfolio or advertising - the laws aren't the same as in the US in that area.</p>

<p>Consider what you can do to provide for redundancy in lens range coverage, flash and batteries and even a second body. An accident or breakdown shouldn't keep you from being able to complete the job.</p>

<p>The most important thing is to listen to what they're saying. I always let people know that their pictures need to be as important before the wedding as they are afterwards. Typically, those who don't spend the time pre-planning with their photographer, or allow adequate time to allow you to photograph their requests will be more likely to be unhappy....-Aimee</p>