Recovery of deleted photos

<p>I have not had the problem as of yet, but saw some online advertisements and got to thinking about it.</p>

<p>I have some file recovery software PC Inspector File Recovery (for the simple stuff) and OnTrack Easy Recovery Pro (which I have used to recover deleted partitions, it's nice). My question is are these programs what I need to recover deleted photos? I was looking at some of the sites offering photo recovery from memory cards and showing what cameras they supported etc, making it sound like there is something special about restoring photos. I would have thought a memory card sees a file as a file.</p>

<p>anyway just thought I'd ask some pros.</p>

<p>These programs work on one simple principle. When a file is deleted only the information telling you where the file is stored is actually erased. In any case your best bet is to immediately discontinue use of the media and run the recovery. With flash media if you write a file or two afterward you should still be okay due to the way the wear leveling works. The recovery program simply looks for the actual file on the media and not at the file allocation table the operating system uses. When you recover the file (even in perfect condition) you will lose the first character of the file name. Whatever you do, never format the media, unformatting hasn't been around since about MS-DOS version 6.22.</p>