Wedding photog asked to do senior protraits. Good idea or not?

<p>I was shooting a wedding a few weeks back and a lady asked me about shooting her son's senior portraits. Since I was in the middle of working, I only spoke to her briefly, saying I would be willing to consider it, but I warned her that is not what I do and this would be my first time. She told me of a portrait photog she was considering, one whose work I am familiar with, and informed her in no uncertain terms that I would probably not match what he does, simply because that is what he does and he has been doing it for a long time.<br>

She contacted me the other day and says she wants me to do the portraits. But I have no idea how to structure a package or price. I am not looking to get into the portrait business, but hey, if it can fill in the gaps between weddings, why turn down money? I feel I have adequately warned her of my inexperience (I did so again in the email she sent me recently). From a technical aspect, I have no problems. But there are intangibles to shooting portraits that I am not familiar with (besides wedding portraits, but I feel a senior portrait situation.<br>

My question is: any advice? Should I even do it (I haven't committed yet)? I don't have a studio, but could do some on-location shots like I do for engagement portraits.</p>

<p>Any advice/warnings appreciated.</p>

<p>I did a mix of senior portraits, weddings and other portraiture for decades. If you can shoot a decent groom portrait you can shoot a decent high school senior portrait. I doubt the equipment or know-how is the issue. Your two issues as I see them, offhand are:<br>

Does the school require a particular portrait for inclusion in the senior class section of the yearbook? If so, they may have background specifications, may require he be dressed in coat & tie or tuxedo, may have head-size specifications so every formal portrait matches.(BTW, there's a chance you can shoot and sell a flattering portrait and he can go to where-ever the school shooter is set up just to have that particular formal shot later on).<br>

You need prices so you can sell some prints and make some $$$.</p>

<p>I say go for it!</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Henry has done an excellent job of explaining it.</p>

<p>Some research into local senior pricing may help determine a range of pricing for you. If your time is worth more than what the locals charge, charge more. If you think it's fair, charge the same. If the other guys seem to charge too much, or you feel you can't justify your senior photography as worthy of such prices, lower the price you charge.</p>

<p>Simple, straightforward, no nonsense. Look and you will see. Knowledge is power. Or at least a reference to an end.</p>

<p>Good luck. I hope you take the job, and learn from the experience.</p>