Business card critique

davebell

<p>Hi David,<br /> I like where things are going with the card! And I agree ... this is such a great thread. As for my two cents, I like everything, except the pictures. Not that I don't like your pictures ... just not on the card. The image needs to really speak to people. So, I went to your site to see what I could find and I just fell in love with one of your images. I think most women would LOVE a picture of themselves with their husbands on their wedding day that looks an awful lot like this one. Of course, in order to make it fit, I had to move some things around. Love it or hate it, it's just a suggestion. I would have just written out my suggestions, but it was just faster to mock up an example. Best wishes!- Kate</p><div>00U1di-157669584.jpg.995bf347ead8b363f02bc8cf92515575.jpg</div>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I like your 1st choice, I think it makes your name stand out more, making you want to see more of your work. The other choices you picked I don't like much. The image above by Kate is also nice if you decide for a face, 6,7,8 don't strike me much and if it doesn't strike the bride much, she might just pass you by. Number 1 is my choice.</p>

<p>Why are you bothering with an image on your business card at all? You risk immediately losing a potential client if they do not like the picture shown on the card, whereas URL to your website allows them to see the range of your work. As you can see from the response you've already received, people instantaneously have a response to images, some of which are positive and others negative. I'd propose keeping the business card simple, no picture. My 2 cents.</p>

<p>As they say a picture say a million words. Kate's idea is not bad a bigger image that stands out shows what are you capable of, and in most cases people might or might not call due to your image. Although you're not going to please, nor appeal to every one with a sinlgle picture pick the one that shows your style and it strike emotions.<br>

On the ohter hand I also like your clean approach. It is simple and elegant. Last thing, for whatever it's worth seems like wedding photography is trending more and more to black and white. So I think I would go that route.<br>

Make sure you end up sharing your final result.<br>

Best of luck.<br>

Alex </p>

My comments are as follows:

<p>1. David Bell should be larger than the word 'photography.' The fact that your name is green vs the white font for photography also further diminishes the prominence of your name :)

<p>2. Change the telephone no. format to +44 (0) 773... As it stands now, someone dialling from a non-UK location, or unfamiliar with the 'syntax' of UK numbers, won't get through. I know because I lived in the UK for a few years ;-)

<p>3. I like the image Kate selected as it is vivacious and energetic. The challenge may be that it is likely to "pigeonhole" you as a wedding photographer only. Perhaps consider using a composited image.

<p>4. The 'aspect ratio' of your card seems to me a little wide and perhaps should be 'slimmed down' just a touch. A good way to check would be to cut an actual size paper and see if it fits in a typical wallet or card-holder.

<p>Luay makes a point that I too grappled with for a while. I do other types of photography than just weddings, so I had to design a card that portrays that. I hope my comments have been of some help... Looking forward to seeing your final version :]<div>00U1hC-157703584.jpg.c9a8b53dcfa39a6ff2d3978d53bd3f8f.jpg</div>

<p>Cards are relatively inexpensive ... my advice would be to do a separate card for Weddings alone ... or Weddings and Portraits. People tend to want specilists not generalists.</p>

<p>Personally I'm not crazy about the design ... it feels to corporate, not personal enough. I'd make the photo larger, it's what you are selling. The card size seems wrong ... double check what aspect ratio to use.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi David,</p>

<p>Looks like you have a lot of help already on this but there are two things I would consider:</p>

<p>While your business card is bigger on screen than what it will be when it's printed, I would consider enlarging your font, so that it's not too difficult to read. Reduce the viewing size to the actual print size and see how easy it is to read. You have plenty of copy space to increase your font size (especially your name–consider enlarging it to span the width of 'photography')</p>

<p>Second, the grey (at least on my screen) feels too heavy for me. Stay with the grey but I would lighten it up considerably. The green would stand out nicely but you would have to change the other font colours to black, or the darker grey you currently have as your background.</p>

<p>I would agree with a lot of the feedback on the image but wouldn't necessarily think that you need to have a face. For me, a nice detail of the bride's dress or groom's suit would be fine. Or a ring shot. Personally, seeing these details would make me think of my own wedding and its details, whereas a person's face might turn me off completely. You want client's to see themselves in your images, not someone else's.</p>

<p>If anything, I would lighten up the grey; it doesn't feel very wedding-like (even if it is 18%).</p>

<p>I do some graphic design, and have been in printing for about 10 years.<br>

The style is good and clean but go with one image not a collage. I would agree on the detail shot, the dress I like but I'd rather see something with a shallow DOF, like the shoe image(ring shots are perfect).<br>

Another suggestion, try white instead of a dark background.<br>

You could do a 2 sided card one with a softer feel and a wedding image and another with the darker color for portraits. The cost isn't much more for the second side.<br>

I would take landscapes off the card unless that is really what you are trying to sell. If you like to shoot them then include them in your port but I wouldn't imagine it would be a big seller.<br>

Just my 2 cents.</p>

<p>David, version 8 is still there, I just refreshed the page to confirm.</p>

<p>Anyway, once again a very BIG thank you to everyone for all of your comments. For those with a bit of staying power, I have now reached a choice of two designs for a single-sided card, and two for a double sided card - the only difference between each type is the image I have chosen. I have taken on board the many useful suggestions and have made the following changes:</p>

<p> - Larger font, and shifted very slightly to the right. I was concerned about the font being too small on the actual cards using the previous size font. Also, having a very long website name doesn't help in terms of increasing font size as it quickly clashes with the left edge of the image.<br>

- Made the green font a bit greener/brighter. Will update website to reflect the same.<br>

- Included email address.<br>

- Corrected phone number format.</p>

<p>Here goes, Version 11:</p>

<p>Anyway, if you can still bear it, please let me know what you think:</p>

<div>00U27t-157973584.jpg.e3aa84d11516aad1658382a45f532439.jpg</div>

<p>Finally, Version 14 - double sided....</p>

<p>It might sound a little obvious, but I intentionally left the right side of the rear of the card solid black. Maybe I could insert an image here, but my "close-to-the-wind" (lack of) graphic design knowledge told me otherwise.</p>

<div>00U283-157975684.jpg.e4a38054bfe26ea37c4c6dce4c266223.jpg</div>

<p>David<br>

I think the layout works quite well and I like the lower case in your name it is different. I am trying to decide on a new business card myself. The photos you choose just don't seem to work with the layout. You need something more eyecatching.. You got the layout down you just need a better graphic...</p>

<p>Definitely version 11 with the reverse side the same light green as your name for notes, etc. I have looked through all the possibilities shown, and it isn't even close in my mind, that photo grabs attention, and your name is a good color and size to grab attention. Placing the extra contact info on the back doesn't make the front bigger, and they may never even think to look at the back for contact info. Making the back side the same green as your name will make the card pop and give it excellent distinction from other cards if someone has a few of them.</p>

<p>Just my thoughts, excellent post!</p>