Any good?

martindomok

<p>M M, if you're looking for opinions: I'm not wowed by the shot. Just don't find it especially interesting. The selective color version looks to me as if the balloons were added in Photoshop, in other words, it looks fake. But basically it's just not a shot that I would want to represent me as a photographer. Not glamorous, not especially journalistic, and not especially amusing, either. Just my two cents....</p>

<p>I find the image kinda silly....Doesn't move me much one way or the other. I don't much care for the background and the table with the "grumpy three" guests. </p>

<p>I also wish people would stop giving others grief over selective color images. Currently there a several national commercial campaigns that are spending millions of dollars for ads with selective coloring. Occasionally, selective coloring can produce remarkable images.......</p>

<p>personally - I think it is interesting...but not something that I'd use as a primary image in a portfolio or show to prospective clients.</p>

<p>As for the selective color - I go with what the client wants...if they want an image in retro, sepia, b/w, color or selective color I do it. I may or may not keep it for my portfolio - depending on the image and the effective and if I like it.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I'm not a huge fan of selective color ... but I have clients who ask for it all the time. So, when they do, I give it to them. As for using this image on your business card, hmm. Maybe ask some non-photographers their honest opinion. Do they love it? If more than a couple don't, then maybe it's not the right image for the card. The image you choose for your card is super important, so you want it to be one that speaks to the majority of your target audience. I'm betting that the bride thinks this picture is hilarious because there is a story behind it. But does the average Joe who doesn't know the story think it's hilarious? Or just strange? Oh, and I agree about the balloon shadow. I couldn't figure out what was going on there until I read Nadine's comment ; ) And I also agree with the comment about not letting anyone else dictate your style. With so many photographers out there, a personal style is really important. </p>

<p>M M,<br>

I think it's an interesting shot, but does it GRAB you? Will it make a potential client say WOW? Whenever I've looked at images to put on a business card, I want it to be my absolute best, something that will make a person know what a great photographer I am. I don't think this image does that for you. But that's just my opinion.</p>

<p>I'm not a huge fan of selective color either but like Kate I have brides that will ask for it fairly frequently. It is indeed a matter of taste. There are some images, including wedding images that I've seen in publications like "Rangefinder" and "Studio Photography" that presents the technique well. I've seen an occasional image here on the wedding forum that I've also thought was well executed and artistically crafted. It's also currently being used for multi-million dollar commercial ads. The above selective-color bashing isn't the first I've seen here on the forum........I'm simply advocating some tolerance and restraint in personal opinion expression..</p>

<p>MM, if you're comfortable with selective color, by all means find ways to display those possibilities for your clients and feature the technique on your website and business cards. Good luck.</p>

<p>OK, let's not get into a selective color war here. Just like everything else about a subjective art/craft, some people like it and some don't. Doesn't classify either side as right or wrong, better or worse, high end or low end, expensive or cheap. There is no need to drag out examples or site their use in publications, or other media, since I doubt that examples will change minds. There is plenty of room for all kinds of techniques and opinions.</p>

<p>Doing selective color against your personal taste also does not mean anything beyond making a simple decision that does not impact one's honor as a photographer.</p>

<p>I think that the purpose of a critique is to learn from ... to make you think about your work and maybe see it from a different perspective for "possible" improvement ... not necessarily "to enable" or "to justify" poor work because anything and everything is okay because nothing is bad ... IMO, a forum critique can be a short cut to learning it the hard way. </p>

<p>Clients wants it ... is that really the criteria for maintaining your integrity? </p>

<p>I once told my Boss that I laid out a print ad a certain way because the client wanted it that way ... he told me that he would not hire that client as a Jr. Art Director's assistant, let alone to make national ads. Point taken. Never forgot that.</p>

<p>Here's my opinion on this image since the OP asked for one.</p>

<p>IMO, it's a "delete" image no matter what processing technique was used. It's poorly exposed and badly composed which alone are enough to hit the delete button ... . dutch angle and selective color ... both done poorly.</p>

<p>Yes, there are "hackneyed" and faddish techniques in today's wedding photography ... stuff that 3 years from now you look at and wonder what you were thinking. We've all done that, learned, and moved on ... hopefully the wiser.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Whether to furnish a selective color image against one's inclinations is a personal decision that does not need to be accounted for by anyone except that photographer.</p>

<p>I don't get your example. So your boss didn't want to give the client what they wanted. Perhaps another one would. Is it criminal either way? No. Hardly what I'd call a matter of honor.</p>

<p>I did not say that 'it's a "matter of taste" to the point that no opinion holds any value'. I did not suggest that Betty or David, or anyone, withdraw their opinions. I'm all for having a discussion about any aspect of wedding photography, but a discussion, not a war.</p>

<p>You can use a different approach with selective color if it's wanted or needed.</p>

<p>One version I enjoy doing if the customers asks: mute or partially desaturate what would normally be the black and white version. You don't have to take it all the way to black and white. It's a viable and potentially more "artistic" rendering of the normal selective color shot.</p>

<p>Note: Nadine is moderating while I'm getting ready to go away on vacation.</p> She is very rightly - trying to change the tone here.

<p>I agree with Nadine. There is a difference between giving an honest critique and bickering which is now edited.. And, a way to give advice and an opinion without destroying the OP. </p>

<p>Please folks.. You can be honest without making people feel like they can't post images and ask for advice on here. Put yourself in the newcomer's shoes please and continue to give your great advice and it can be strong but gentle at the same time.</p>

<p >

<p >Delineation is sometimes difficult, I agree.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >But, any honourable and honest request from my customer, over-trumps my "honour as a Photographer".</p>

<p > </p>

<p >In the case of such a customer's request, I have learnt to be very careful to ensure that my "Honour as a Photographer", is not confused with my Ego.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p > </p>

</p>

<p > </p>

<p>ROFL It's a funny catch with the positioning of the balloons. I'm sure it was fun to do,<br />but it has so many questionable interpretations and since the subject is blocked I don't think it has portfolio merit AND i wouldn't give it to a bride.<br>

I've never seen selective color be anything more than novel. It's a trick to me, I don't like it in photos or video. I think I have seen all of 1 or 2 photos, if ever, that it actually worked on.<br />Just my take.</p>