Sigma 70-200 sharpnes

kris-bochenek

<p>Hi all <br /> I just took some test shots of my Sigma 70-200 I don't use it that often as I always though it produces soft images<br>

Can you look at this photos and tell me if indeed they are soft or is it just me and my eyes :-)<br>

I am posting full size images and their 200% crops</p>

<p> </p><div>00U0nC-157185684.thumb.jpg.f529bb1a6eb25c186701e6b2df2b4788.jpg</div>

<p>Kris, I have this lense and find that the images at f/2.8 are soft if shot without a tripod. Once you get to 5.6 it becomes solid. I have used the lense for just about everything and it did well at a yankees game at f/2.8 during action shots.<br>

When you did your test shots, were you using a tripod?</p>

<p>the slightly blurred focus elliot sees could just be light reflecting off of silver, while the gears are more high-contrast and dont reflect light, which could give the appearance of blur.</p>

<p>at f/4 the nut, the bolt, and the gears are all equally sharp which would seem to eliminate the possibility of a focus issue. looks like it's just a bit soft wide open.</p>

<p>The f4 shot appears about as sharp as anyone could expect, in my opinion. the f2.8 shot doesn't appear "soft" to me, it just appears that the focus was just slightly in front of the nut, as the end of the tubular part of the frame looks very sharp. the depth of field on the 2.8 shot appears very thin, giving the illusion of a soft shot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"it just appears that the focus was just slightly in front of the nut, as the end of the tubular part of the frame looks very sharp. the depth of field on the 2.8 shot appears very thin, giving the illusion of a soft shot."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>that's why you want to do test shots with a tripod, to eliminate the possibility of user error. even with a fast shutter, the camera could have moved ever so slightly as the shutter was released.</p>

<p>Kris and everyone, I believe all the reviews on this lense said it was a bit soft wide open. It isn't too bad but Kris redoes the test with a tripod we can truly see. Again, I have had this lense for over 8 months and it does very well. Especially the bokeh wide open.</p>