Ok Dumb Question But I gotta ask

todd_reeves3

<p>I have been shooting weddings for some time now.. Granted I still consider myself a green pea at the moment, but I have shot roughly 20 weddings all small nothing larger than say 150 to 200 people. I am up on all the terminology except one. I just can't figure it our...</p>

<p>Ok dumb Question time... <strong>What is "Trash the Dress"...</strong> </p>

<p>TTD is normally a session AFTER the wedding where the bride wears her dress and literally "trashes" it during the course of the session, either by getting it excessively dirty, torn, or even wet. I've seen some lovely TTD sessions done in water. Chiffon in water is awesome.<br>

Here's an example: <a href="http://trashthedressminnesota.blogspot.com/2008/03/featured-photographer-sally-gruman.html">http://trashthedressminnesota.blogspot.com/2008/03/featured-photographer-sally-gruman.html</a></p>

<p>You don't know what Trash the Dress is?? Oh my gosh!! Are you out of your mind???<br>

Just kidding!!! Really I am! I'd love to do more of these sessions, but they just haven't caught on around here. Perhaps I need to market them more. Usually a trash the dress session is a fun session the day after (or more) the wedding where you go out and find really creative places and poses for pictures. You've seen the whole bride in the water, rolling in the sand, etc. My favorite so far was of a bride who had painted one side of her dress green and the other blue and was sitting in front of a wall painted the same way. I can't remember where I saw it or who did it, but I love it!<br>

There's a whole website started by the awesome Marc Eric just for trash the dress sessions - it's <a href="http://www.trashthedress.com">www.trashthedress.com</a> You can go look there for inspiration. :)</p>

<p>Oh, and I have to add that a session doesn't always involve literally 'trashing' the dress. Most dresses come out just fine after a nice dry cleaning. I haven't met too many girls willing to destroy the dress. I also do sessions with senior girls and their prom dresses. Fun!</p>

<p>I must be missing out... <br>

There was this one bride that wanted her enguagement photo taken at the beach and she wore her dress. Funny story I was shooting her on the beach the surf was quite rough with about 2-3 feet waves breaking on the beach. It was during magic hour so the lighting was superb. We were almost done shooting and I told her to do something spontanous and out of the ordinary to finish up the series. The next thing I knew she was running out into the surf and jumped in.. I was like "what the... So I started snapping away and then she started to get dragged down by the tide and looked like she was drinking in some salt water. I ended haveing to jump in myself and help her out. The salt water had weighed her dress down so much she was haveing problems getting out of the water.. I have to get those images uploaded her for everyone to see... The pictures were gorgous and the wedding went off without a hitch, except when I asked her how much her dry cleaning bill was she told me $400.00... Now that is on crazy bride...</p>

<p>Never seen this<em> fad</em> occur in my 30 years .....our brides do not even harm a petal on their bouquets :-) .... Of course, we are never around past the cake cutting. My large , extended family has always had a tradition of passing down the dress....</p>

<p>C Jo- They don't do TTD the day of the wedding....it's a different day after the wedding. After that most brides don't care about messing up their dress. I know I didn't! Heck, after the ceremony I didn't care what happened to my dress. Evidenced by the big tear that ended up in the bustle!</p>

<p>I think about once a year, Rangefinder magazine does an article on "Trash the Dress". It's popular in some areas, and considered blasphemy in others, lol!</p>

<p>We've yet to have any takers for this type of add-on session. Personally, I wouldn't want to trash my own wedding gown to the point of ruining it. As long as it could be cleaned so that it could be resold or donated, then I'm all for it! It's fun and modern and the pictures look amazing!</p>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3642039">Paul Thomas</a> , Jul 21, 2009; 02:57 p.m.<br>

"Of course, we are never around past the cake cutting."<br>

Why not?</p>

<p><em>Cost</em> --- It has become a way to cut cost in our market. Most coverages are 4 hours these days. We generally shoot a "fake' shot of the cake --and the B&G <em>officially</em> cut it several hours later.</p>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5252690">Betty Lowrey</a> , Jul 21, 2009; 03:13 p.m.<br>

C Jo- They don't do TTD the day of the wedding....it's a different day after the wedding. After that most brides don't care about messing up their dress.</p>

<p>Well -- it sounds like the bride does not hand down her dress :-) We rarely see the bride after their wedding day --they usually fly out the next day .... But, thanks for clarifying the trashing of the dress > :-)</p>

<p>TTD dresses are often not the actual wedding dresses but second hand or sale dresses purchased just for photo shoots. They are used until they are no longer good enough to be cleaned, etc. The trash event can be a grunge look, not always a mud wrestle, or a dunk in the ocean. Any way the bride can achieve that edgy, goth, biker, streetwise look without ruining her own wedding event is what they're looking for. High end photographers supply the dresses and accessories as part of the package cost. The bride gets to be a bad girl for a day and the groom get his party.</p>

<p>Just in case someone wants to try it themselves...</p>

<p>I'd like to suggest that photoshop is a little safer for the fire dress picture than doing it for real. =8^O<br /> If someone does try it for real, the dress had better not have any synthetic in it or it will most assuredly be the opposite of the happiest day of her life.</p>

<p>Are you serious????? Trash a wedding dress! What a bogan thing to do!<br>

In our country the wedding dress gets handed down from one generation to the next. Its a point of honour to be able to wear your grandmothers wedding dress or even older. The more times it gets carefully remade and refitted, the greater the sentimental value. Sometimes the seamstress will embroider the brides name on an inside seam edge. I have seen older dresses made in the 20s with five names down the inner seam. Its meant to bring good fortune and a long, happy marriage.<br>

Usually the bride will get it carefully cleaned after the wedding, have it wrapped in tissue paper and flakes of napthalene and boxed up to be kept for her daughter or grand daughter. TTD? Thats a total breakdown in societies niceties and conventions covering something as important as a wedding. Its not even funny in the slightest. The bride would be ostracised forever if that happened here, and the bets would be on that the marriage would not last long...a very bad omen.</p><div>00U0Mz-156945584.jpg.6be4f9fb8b285fa17b6dceae190fcf2f.jpg</div>

<p>Stephen, that's such a lovely picture and a wonderful story.<br>

I think it depends on the dress, of course. I wouldn't have ever handed down my dress. It was a cheap, off-the-rack David's Bridal buy that probably wouldn't have survived being preserved. It was ripped the day of the wedding because I caught the bustle in a door and it now lays dormant in a trash bag in my storage closet. I may let my daughter play with it someday, but to WEAR it on her big day? Ew.<br>

But, that's just MY dress....I would be completely honored if my grandmother would have saved her dress for me to wear. And I would never imagine destroying it.<br>

But, these days a lot of girls buy pretty much "disposable" David's Bridal $250 dresses (like I did). In those cases, it's fun to have an extra photo shoot out of them.<br>

To each his or her own. Not everyone is sentimental over dresses.</p>

<p>What the heck is all this about handing down wedding dresses?? I have yet to have a bride who has worn her mothers gown. My brides are fashion forward, stylish girls and I'm sorry but their mother's gowns are not. Anymore. :)<br>

The old hand 'em down thing is over. Most of the girls I talk to now would rather wear the dress they've spent countless hours finding and thousands of dollars paying for more than once. </p>

<p>There is no need to become polarized over yet another issue having to do with weddings and photography. I've shot weddings where the bride wore their mother's or grandmother's gown and I've shot weddings where the bride bought an off the rack, 'cheap' gown, and I've also shot weddings where the bride made her own gown, not to mention ones where the bride wore an expensive, designer gown. Usually, when the bride wears a gown handed down, it is re-made, re-styled, etc. for the bride. Sometimes, only part of the dress is 'old', and the re-made dress is completely modern in appearance.</p>

<p>Whatever you think of TTD, or the tradition of handing down, it is the bride's choice--we just photograph them. If you refuse to do a TTD, that is your right, but don't complain if the bride finds someone else to do the session.</p>

<p>Colleen - I have done some very high end DC weddings and a few destination weddings where the bride wore Mom or Grandma's dress. </p>

<p>When you are dealing with brides that love 'vintage' - it works very well and is very fashionable (vintage) as well as some styles come back and some very expensive classic dresses never go out of style. My wedding dress was when I was in my late 40's so it will very possibly be worn by my daughter who is in her late 20's as it's a classic dress that would fit her beautifully. </p>

<p> </p>