BBB Accreditation - Worth It?

betty_lowrey2

The fee is about $350 for a year. You won't get any referrals out of them, but you will gain a good rating. Once in a while when I feel a client is indecisive between our studio's and another photographer, I'll tell them to refer to the BBB, I have a perfect record. That can often make the sale.

Perhaps join it for a year to get a good rating. I haven't rejoined in several years now, but the rating is still active.

http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=13126598

<p>Thanks Bob. I just know they have a good reputation and people really rely on them a lot to steer them in the right direction. I know I do. There are plenty of times I've been wanting to go with a certain company and the BBB and their rating there has been what changed my mind one way or the other.</p>

<p><em><strong>"There are plenty of times I've been wanting to go with a certain company and the BBB and their rating there has been what changed my mind one way or the other."</strong></em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Another question to ask oneself is: what did I decide when a particular company which I was considering, was not listed with the BBB?<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>I say no, it's not worth the $350 membership dues. We didn't see an increase or a decrease in our revenue while having the BBB membership. We had it for one year in 2007, but haven't renewed because in this economy we felt like that money should be put to better use in advertising dollars.</p>

<p>Prior to joining in 2007, we had one of those neither-here-nor-there ratings with the BBB. Meaning, it listed us as having no complaints but that the BBB was uncertain as to how we would proceed should we receive a complaint because we were not a member. Like someone else said, the minute we joined, we magically skyrocketed to a AAA rating. Now that we've not renewed, we simply have an A rating, alothough I think they did away with the AAA or BBB or CCC stuff and went with a simple A, B, C, D, F sort of thing.</p>

<p>It *was* nice to be able to use being a BBB member with a AAA rating as a confidence booster for our clients during our consultations when many other small studios in our area were listed as having CCCs or Ds (and one even had an F.) But, for the most part, I think only one in ten actually seemed to really care.</p>

<p>BBB is just paid placement anyway. So an A rating is not really that impressive when you really think about it. A C rating is generally just as good. Some clients realize that and don't care what kind of rating you have as long as it's not a D or an F. Some clients will find an A impressive.</p>

<p>Perhaps trying it for one year is a good idea. But expect the BBB agents to be pretty agressive when you refuse to renew. Ours sort of pressed the issue that our rating would go down if we didn't renew. We still declined, and after a few more follow up calls they finally left us alone.</p>

<p><em><strong>"Prior to joining in 2007, we had one of those neither-here-nor-there ratings with the BBB. . . . </strong></em>Ah! I did not know that your BBB rates businesses <em>without</em> that business becoming a member.<br>

<br>

Please disregard my previous - I made an incorrect assumption - that only members were rated.<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>There is a big controversy over the BBB franchise's new 'pay to play' rating system. It is claimed by many that paying members automatically get a high rating regardless of how poor its customer service is. In my state the Attorney General is investigating their practices after various complaints of that sort including the BBB giving their annual "Torch Award" to a business under investigation for violating consumer protection laws. One wonders how the BBB (a business not a government agency) should be rated. I don't have personal knowledge of their practices and don't have a conclusion as a result. I can only suggest that others research the situation and decide for yourself if its a worthy entity to support or not and if some potential sales justifies doing so.</p>

<p><em>Ours sort of pressed the issue that our rating would go down if we didn't renew</em></p>

<p><em></em><br>

Many states have consumer protection laws against deceptive and unfair trade practices. I'm not sure what "sort of" means but this is the type of assertion, if true, that should be refered to the proper government agency if the BBB does not disclose to its consumers that its rating system works that way. If their rating sustem does not work that way and its reps threatened a lower rating, it would be at great risk of violating laws as well.<br /> </p>

<p >Thanks for that insight, John. Very interesting. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >As you most likely have gleaned by some of my responses to business related issues, whilst not a resident of the USA, I am always interested in matters related to business etc, and how others do things: I have learnt a lot about business generally, by asking questions of my international friends and taking note of the pros and cons and how I might adapt different methods to my business. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >On this topic - I particularly like the name: "Better Business <em><strong>Bureau</strong></em>" to some I guess there is the initial implication it is an "establishment" or perhaps quasi-government agency.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p>The BBB is a marketing company not a government agency. You BUY A RATING, not earn a rating. When clients ask me about BBB I refer them to our state Department of Consumer Protection Agency website. This is a government agency and posts real ratings and statistics which are much more reliable than the BBB reports.</p>