How do you get past clients to post reviews?

betty_lowrey2

<p>I really hate asking, sounds like grubbing for compliments (or critique...eek!) but I find that the vendors with more reviews get higher placement on sites such as Wedding Wire, Cityvoter, etc. I've tried placing a link to my Cityvoter page on my blog, but no dice.<br>

Any suggestions?</p>

<p>You just have to ask. I wasn't too comfortable with it at first either, but it's kind of fun now. I asked all of my brides from last summer if they would please write down what they enjoyed about working with me and why they hired me in the first place. About 30% actually sent me anything, but it was enough to put on my website and such. I've tried asking people to do a review on weddingwire.com and no one is interested. I think if they know it's specifically for you (I had told them it was for my new website) they are more excited and willing to do it. <br>

I think you just have to be persistent. Have you tried writing up a questionaire and sending it to them after the session or wedding (don't forget a SASE) and reminding them nicely to please return it? Then you could post it yourself. I think if you make it sound important to you it becomes more important to them. </p>

<p>Yep, pretty much just ask. For us (probably for you, too) we've usually built a really good rapport with our couples by the time the whole thing is done, and most are happy to do it. We don't do it with every couple, but we often get glowing letters from them raving about the pictures and we ask if we can use it as a testimonial on our website. I know, different than a review in terms of what you're talking about, but still effective if potential clients make it to your site.</p>

<p>You could include a link to the review page with a nice e-mail asking them, so it's more easily done. Timing is good, too; ask them shortly after final delivery when they're still deliriously happy with their pictures. :-D Don't wait 6 months when they've moved on to being happy about something else.</p>

<p>I always ask. I usually wait until they've had time to go through all their photos (about a week after they get them). In fact I usually get an e-mail from them saying how much they love the pictures, and thats when I go for it. <br>

It just seems easier to reply saying thank you, I'm glad you liked all the photos, if you had time would you mind leaving me a review on this site, etc.<br>

So far its worked very well, almost every couple has left a review.</p>

<p>Every client that I asked to do a review on Wedding Wire/Martha Steward Weddings web site did so with-in a day.</p>

<p>But don't wait a year ... do it while they are deeply involved with their photos. </p>

<p>Besides, if you want to get that "Bride's Choice" emblem to put on your website splash page, you want the most recent clients doing the reviews. If a viewer clicks on it, it takes them right to you Wedding Wire sell page. </p>

<p> </p>

Posting on a public forum comes with its own inherent risks, as Missy Kay unfortunately found out. If you have your own website, you can just have a testimonials page. I often ask my clients to email me some comments on my work. When I revamp my site I'll have them on there as testimonials...