CF Planar 80/2.8 Date Coding.

jb17kx

<p>Hi all,<br>

I recently acquired a 500C/M body and CF Planar T* 80/2.8, and out of curiosity decided to see if I could work out the production dates. My body and back are both 1989 by the VHPICTURES code (RE), but the lens has been a bit more troublesome. I found several sources that say a CF lens can be dated by looking at the red stamping inside the rear baffle. Mine has the code M98, which corresponds to the 13th month in 1989.<br>

Is there something I've missed or does the M have another, unrelated, meaning?<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Thanks. I've seen some very difficult-to-read embossings (including some of the other markings on the same lens - you'd have thought Zeiss could have afforded to engrave them), but this one says "M98" clear as day.</p>

<p>My 2 cents opinion is that "M" represents the 12th month because letter "I" is skipped. This is because letter "I" resembles number 1 which could confuse us. It happens in other areas. For example, when it comes to the drawings of building, architects typically use letters and nummers to locate and identify building columns. If letters (A, B, C...) are used in horizontal direction, then numbers (1, 2, 3...) will be used in vertical direction. To avoid confusions, letters "I" and "O" are commonly skipped. Hope this is the case for Hassy lens. However, if somebody proves there is "I89" lens, then I am in the wild guess world like you.</p>

• 2 weeks later...