DIDYMIUM ENHANCING or photoshop

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>looking at the <a href="http://www.1hx.net/en/p_16.htm">filter curve</a> I would be hugely surprised if you can achieve the <em>same </em> effect <em>after</em> having reduced the continuous light spectrum of the live scene to the three photographic channels.<br>

Little doubt, however, that you can achieve a <em>similar</em> effect in PS or similar by layering the foliage and working on red/yellow saturation.</p>

<p>You can get a better effect in Photoshop because you are able to apply the effect selectively rather than universally. The effects of an enhancing filter are often very destructive to a photograph given that they create unwanted colour casts in clouds etc as well as on flesh. Like a lot of others I bought an enhancing filter in the mid 1990's when they initially became popular. Within weeks it was confined to a drawer, never to emerge. To put it bluntly using the filter rarely results in an overall positive effect on the image, and is difficult to predict ttl. Selecting part of the image and saturating the reds can be a much more useful technique if done tastefully. </p>

<p>Unlike David, I like my enhancers, one of which is integral in a polarizing filter. I don't use them often, mostly seasonal...autumn, and for sunsets/sunrises. For me the effect is more subtly pleasing than simply cranking a color's saturation in post.<br>

A red enhancer doesn't just enhance reds - it affects other colors as well. As Thomas noted, duplicating the spectral curve in post would be difficult. Due to the spectral curve of the filter, sometimes, as David noted, it can cause unwanted changes, but those can be fixed in post. <br>

I do alter images in post. Sometimes, I crank up saturation more on shots done with a redhancer filter. IMO, It all depends on what you like, and what the particular subject or scene is. I don't think any one single answer is correct for enhancing colors. As the saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat.</p>

<p>Didymium filters work by altering <em>observer metamerism</em> (the "filter curve" stuff that Thoman mentioned). Colors that appeared identical muddy brown to the camera are separated by the filter into different shades of red, gold, orange, and yellow.</p>

<p>This effect cannot be duplicated in PhotoShop, because PhotoShop won't know which of two identically colored trees gets shifted into the red and which one gets shifted into the gold.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This effect cannot be duplicated in PhotoShop, because PhotoShop won't know which of two identically colored trees gets shifted into the red and which one gets shifted into the gold.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Photoshop allows you to use a very narrow "bandwidth" in Hue/Saturation so I'm not so sure about this statement.</p>