Gitzo leveling base vs Top flat plates

marc_felber1

<p>I will be using a Gitzo 3531LSV. I wonder what is better to use with this tripod for bird shots The leveling bast or the top flat plates. The lady at wimberley for some reason recommended the Top flat plates. Is there a difference between them two. Which keeps the set up more sturdy or it does not really matter unless you are using big lenses 600mm and above and can get away with it as long as you are using the old non IS lenes such as the 500 f/4.5 good luck finding this lens. Is a good lens and very hard to find in almost new conditon. It could take months to find this lens. The lens is so good you very rarely see it up for sale, even on ebay. </p>

<p>The G-1321 leveling base is as solid, and only an inch higher than the flat plate. The key advantage is that you can level the base of head for consistent panning, important for use of a Wimberly. Otherwise you have to rotate the lens as you pan to keep the horizon level. This is also useful, even with short lenses, if you make stitched panoramas. Another benefit is that the clamping mechanism on the leveling base makes it easy to change heads, securely and without tools.</p>

<p>I have a Gitzo systematic and instead of the leveling base I found a REALLY RIGHT STUFF leveling Pano Clamp was a MUCH better solution. I does the same thing... I can use it on any tripod... even a table tripod.... and it weighs almost nothing.... I stick it on whatever ball head is on my Gitzo and Viloa!</p>

<p>The Really Right Stuff PCL-1 Pano Clamp only works in conjunction with a ball head, which serves as the leveling device. This adds about 4 inches in height, which would be far less stable with a Wimberly head, including other items needed to effect the mounting of the Wimberly to the tripod. The Wimberly should be screwed to a low, stable base for best results.</p>

<p>The PCL-1 is of limited use for panos, since the camera is held absolutely level. This means that the horizon is always in the center of the frame. If the leveling device is UNDER the ball head, then the camera can be tilted as needed for better composition.</p>