Local camera shops in Philadelphia?

<p>Hi all! I want to buy canon 5d 1st revision, but i can't find it online in philadelphia stores.<br /> <br /> Maybe anybody knows where i can find it in local shops? Unfortunately, i can't check it myself, cause i'm far far away.<br /> <br /> Will be happy for any help.<br /> <br /> Thx, Alex.</p>

<p>If your friend has a car, have him drive you to Allen's Camera in Levittown (http://www.allenscamera.com/) or New York Camera & Video in Southampton (http://www.nycv.com/). Both are about a half hour trip from the city.</p>

<p>I do all my local shopping at these shops and they typically carry a good selection of gear. Allen's Camera has a lot of new and used Canon equipment and have prices that are competitive with B&H and Adorama.</p>

<p>-Thomas</p>

<p>How long are you going to be in Philly? If for at least a week you could order it from B&H and get it in a day or two. I live north of Philly in Allentown and get stuff from B&H usually next day if I order it in the morning(this is for standard UPS ground 3-5 day shipping).<br>

Otherwise, I definitely recommend New York Camera & Video in Southampton, PA (no idea why they named it like this). They are a large store catering to Pro's and Amaturers alike. Prices are usually fair, and they will match B&H if your willing to haggle.<br>

-K</p>

<p>Alex-- Tax policy in NY is the same as all over the country. If you buy something in a local store and take it home with you, you pay sales tax whether you pay with cash or with a credit card. BUT, if you buy the camera in a store, and have the camera mailed out of New York State (or whatever state the camera store was in) you do not have to pay sales tax. Of course, your home state will want you to tell them about the purchase so that they can tax you. But whether you inform them or not is your choice (and an obvious choice). So, if you live in New York, buy from a store in California, etc. Now- some companies are charging tax to online sales or phone sales to out of state if they have a store in that state (Banana Republic, for instance). And because many states want the sales tax on any sale, they have influenced neighboring states to charge sale tax even for out of state purchases. Every now and then a merchant will tell you that he will not charge sales tax. In fact, he is not making you pay but he is paying it, which means you got a better discount price. The bad news is that now that online sales have gotten so large, we can expect to pay state sales tax on all purchases pretty soon. Let's hope the software to work this out is slow to develop! As they say, "death and taxes" right? But consider, if you do live for ever, you will probably have to pay state tax forever! So, even with eternal life (ie- no death) taxes will remain. Now, you tell me what the oldest profession is?</p>

<p>Calumet in PHilly is your only reputable dealer left in Philly. Their prices aint terrible, but their service is extremely good. If you want the best price and service, B&H in NYC is the place to buy from. I use to live in New Jersey, just across the river from Philly. When I orderd from B&H on a Sunday night, I usually got it deliverd to my door by Tuesday....even though they only guarantee 3 day delivery. And as Jerry says, you dont pay NY sales tax upfront to them if you live out of NY state.</p>

<p>Adorama is ok also, but I personally would go to B&H first.....and would probably go to Calumet in NYC before Adorama also. B&H has slightly better word of mouth reputation than Adorama....and by the way, I live in Brooklyn now, so word of mouth is first hand info for me.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I've found Calumet's prices to be a touch higher than either B&H or Adorama, but anytime I've gone in there they are always very helpful and have a good selection of stuff (I went in for film... they were the only ones in Philly stocking Provia). If it's hard to find, it might be worth paying the tax/slight premium. That's the law of supply and demand. :)</p>