D3X+MTO or..

antti_katajainen

<p>Hello everyone. I would like to know if it is possible to use that hyge MTO 1000mm f/10 lens with Nikon D3X. I know the adapter is available but does it fit. It is pretty wide lens. Also I like to hear your opinion about Nikon 1000mm reflex lens. Is it any good and which one you prefer?<br>

Cheers<br>

Antti</p>

<p>The lens is wide, the mount is small. It should fit.<br>

I will warn you the old teles, no matter how good they were for the time, do not perform like the later ones. 200 mm and shorter seem fine, but my old Vivitars look terrible on digi, but they worked ok on film. <br>

The MTO had a decent reputation in the 1960 era, just not outstanding. The Vivitar solid cats were the best of the time, and they do not measure up to todays standards.</p>

<p>I will also tell you you will need really solid support to make it work even if it is a perfect lens.<br>

A 20/30 lb tripod for the lens and a second for the camera to stop the see-saw effect.</p>

<p>I guess I am telling you not to buy it.</p>

<p>Yes, I am not serious with this lens. It is cheap but it could be fun. I have some more "Serious" lenses but I just though that IF you need that 1000mm sometimes, it is good if you have at least one available.<br>

I know it is not a great lens in any way but just like to hear some opinions. Thank you all for your comments.</p>

<p>Don't know about the MTO or the Nikkor 1000, but I inherited a 2000mm Nikkor Reflex, unfortunately without the mount, and even on my large format tripod with a super solid head, that thing is hard to keep steady and image quality is.....well, IF you can find something to focus on...... unspectular..... the only thing I have really shot with it was a full moon.</p>

<p>The 1000 MTO will fit nicely on your camera. However, results might not be very impressive. These lenses easily go out of optical alignment.</p>

<p>I do have had very decent results with my 1000/11 Nikkor on the D3X, though, but you absolutely must use LiveView for focusing. Plus ensure the lens is in thermal equilibrium to its surroundings. A tripod with high torsional stability is a prerequisite.</p>

<p>Mirror lenses can be used for non-celestial subjects too.</p>

<p>Thanks Björn. I treally is very tempting lens with that price. New lens cost some 200 eur (inc customs etc...) and with that price it could be worth buying. I still have to think about it little more. Could you Björn show me some images you have taken with this lens? It would be great to see some results with this lens and D3x.</p>