Digital Pen Noise Results at Flickr

michaelyoung

<p>I don't have the eye to confidently/critically assess for noise in these shots but the consensus is that it's very good through 1600 in this particular set of test photos ranging from ISO 100 through 1600.<br></p>

<p>However, if I'm seeing the clarity I think I'm seeing then I will have to move it up several notches right away.</p>

<p><a href=" ISO 1600 Raw Olympus E-P1

<p>I should've added that, personally, a clean ISO 1600 coupled with the 17mm 2.8--in turn coupled with In Body IS and such a short focal length should easily cross the boundaries of handheld nighttime urban shooting--and that has me jazzed.</p>

<p>And over 12 MP.</p>

<p>I think I like it. I think I like it a lot.</p>

<p>Even 6400 is pretty usable. Albeit this was in super bright Times Square and using monotone, but for night time street use, it's very good. F8 1/50 sec. RAW from the camera and converted to JPG in Olympus Master.</p>

<p>I like it a lot.</p><div>00TwBI-154689584.thumb.jpg.a59e22b8a2c70e19eab855081a81bc30.jpg</div>

<p>Very nice Carl and very encouraging.</p>

<p>If this holds up it'll be a great thing not only for the Pen but the entire Olympus line of DSLRs.</p>

<p>It looks to be an amazing performance given the much discussed physics of pixel proximity, etc.</p>

<p>Hard to tell from those sample pix on Flickr - might be some JPEG compression artifacts or too-aggressive in-camera noise reduction - but there was some loss of fine detail in the ISO 1600 shot that resembled overly aggressive luminance NR.</p>

<p>Some of the ISO 1600 hi-rez photos I saw in the earlier preview articles didn't show this characteristic, so it may be due to in-camera adjustments.</p>

<p>Still looks better than my Nikon D2H above 1600.</p>