Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC #29

jose_angel

<p>Here is a capture from this weekend. I just happened upon this flock of Cedar Waxwings by a pond behind a local convenience store. First I thought they were Eastern kingbirds by the way they were flying and catching bugs. That is until I looked through the viewfinder of my D200 with my Nikkor 500mm f4 p with a tc-14b t-con. First time I ever saw these little guys. Wish I could have gotten closer. Time to get a blind!</p><div>00Twje-155025584.jpg.80fed772a32959d3592cdf72ca487c95.jpg</div>

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Wow, lots of interesting photos again. Most shots look amazing. <br />My favorites are:<br /><strong>@</strong><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2301406">Rene' Villela</a> - very nice japanese car curves :)<br />@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2418329">Lil Judd</a> - amazing ir shot. wish i have an ir converted camera too<br />@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4897997">Aaron Bonnici</a> - nice potrait, she looks very cute<br />@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=323291">Dieter Schaefer</a> - great ps processing<br />@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1472982">James Kazan</a> - excellent work, that sepia effect matches the image perfectly<br />@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2071954">Jam Pasion</a> - beautiful capture<br />@Everyone - keep up the good work and i'm looking forward to seeing your post next week.</p>

<p>Here is the shot i took early this week:<br /><strong>D90, 18-105mm VR @18mm, Manual f/11, 1/200, ISO 100, flash triggered</strong></p>

<p> </p><div>00Twkp-155035684.jpg.02a04b59529f6204ddb569b845e766f0.jpg</div>

<p>Hi all,<br /> I guess I missed the wednesday party - however I would like to consider it is still Wednesday in some part of the world.. so here goes.. Wonderful pictures from everybody.. I wanted to comment on all pics - but as I am pretty much last in the queue today and as I wanted to keep the post small, I have commented on a few selected ones. thanks for sharing your pics.<br /> Jose Angel - nice n vibrant environmental portrait<br /> Rene' Villela - nice subjects :)<br /> Lil Judd - striking IR. thanks for commenting on my earlier pic too. :)<br /> Ton Mestrom - very nice bw detail, thanks for sharing about the book.<br /> Matthew Brennan - nice handheld macro<br /> Aaron Bonnici - very nice b/w<br /> Janne Kaakinen - nice macro<br /> Sjoerd Leeuwenberg - nice irfanview touch<br /> Chris Court - very nice pic of anhinga<br /> Lex (perpendicularity consultant) Jenkins - thanks for asking about the b/w conversion.<br /> Jeannean Ryman - very vibrant, good detail<br /> Thangavelu Nachimuthu - nice pic<br /> Bruce Margolis - nice mood<br /> Matt Laur - I missed the wednesday thread on wednesday, I guess I need the alarm after all.. but yes, these are better than coffee.. and very nice idea and execution on carbon emissions<br /> Dan Park - whether pp'd or not, the result is nice!<br /> tom baxter - very nice composition<br /> Dave Walsh - very good deal with the cat indeed. very nice detail too.<br /> Tim Holte - nice portrait<br /> Curt Weinhold - wow, for the choice of the subjects<br /> Paul Nance - nice detail<br /> Anand Dhupkar - yummy<br /> Susan Wolfe - very nice lighting, wish the adult's face wasn't cropped, or cropped below the neckline <br /> Randy Dawson - nice pic with good detail<br /> Waldemar Giers - Kitchener,ON,Canada - nice pic<br /> Jeffrey Aiello - nice pov and dof. good execution<br /> Don Harper - a great pic. the Capitol is kinda washed out with the sky, if you could lift it this would be very evident<br /> George Paris - great location. miss the sunsets and the colorful fishes below. :)<br /> Christopher Thompson - very creative and very nice outcome.</p>

<p>here's one from me. taken a few weeks ago in a horticultural garden near home. D700 in DX mode, 105mm f/4 AI macro, f/8, 1/125s, iso 200, manual exposure. I kept waiting for some small fish to show up, and as luck would have it one of the biggest fishes showed up! Luck favors the patient, I guess. Hope you enjoy it. Cheers. A.</p><div>00TwrE-155103684.JPG.f0a03b30686854fe582630bc86593e80.JPG</div>

<p>Wow! Just blown away by the quality of the shots in this thread week after week. Thought I would dip a toe into the water for the first time. Shot in San Francisco on a recent Saturday. Nikon D200 with new 35mm f1.8 lens. f8 at 1/250 second. Some overall photo work in Lightroom.</p><div>00TwrX-155109584.jpg.fdbb3d5607e88e2fae97f1a7ec339f79.jpg</div>

<p><br />Jose Angel: Brilliant portrait!<br>

Lil Judd: I really enjoy looking at all the detail and your nice composition. The IR creates this wonderful feel to it. One of my favourites this Wednesday. Bravo!<br>

Nina Myers: Beautiful panorama.<br>

Thangavelu Nachimuthu: Nice warm contact between woman and child.<br>

jf zhony: Beautifully coloured abstract.<br>

Andrew Dryburgh: Like your compositional study.<br>

Eric Arnold: Nicely captured living portrait. Like your colours.<br>

Richard Karash: Beautiful structure.<br>

Jeffrey Aiello: Nice work with foreground/background. Like your composition and the colours.<br>

Don Harper: Happy shot! Like your post processing.<br>

John DeMarco: Nice work.<br>

Chris Bochenek and Aguinaldo de Paula: One skyline in B/W and one with lots of colour. Both nice!<br>

George Paris: I find that to be a beautiful shot of the sunset. Like how you froze the splash and how part of it becomes almost silhouetted. Nicely lit. One of my favourites from this Wednesday.<br>

Christopher Thompson: I like how you use part of the bird to study shape and curves. Beautiful colour.<br>

Lester Rosebrock: I find that you captured a lot of the energy in this concert shot.<br>

Paul Gresham: Nicely lit portrait.<br>

Bruce Ring: Beautiful light. I want to see more of that subject.</p>

<p>Great photographs, this one is a candid portrait of a 86 year old boat builder , the last one left in the UK /Wales who hand builds "corracles" a tub sized fishing boat carried on the back like a tortois shell . He even croosed the English Channel to France in one when he was in his seventies. It took him 14 hours. <br>

Nikon D3 , 24-70mm G</p>

<div>00Twsc-155125584.thumb.jpg.0d136ce8073ab74db13dd28e581d0d83.jpg</div>

<p>I have to start by saying how surprised & humbled I am over the reaction to my IR shot this week. I'm overjoyed by the response & am thrilled to see how many know of Akira Kurosawa & understand where I was going with this. I am very happy, so ...<br>

<strong>Huge Thank You</strong> to <strong>Matthew, Janne, Elliot, Dieter, Bruce, Ray Gosalia, Nina </strong> ( get a D70 IR converted - it's so much fun I've not regretted doing that for a second.)<strong>, Jonathan Matters, Keith Gierman, John Conway, Steve Vanderford, Gary McGhee, Keerthi s r, Eric Arnold, Richard Karash, Don Harper, Kris Bochenek, Benjamin Schaefer, George Paris, Arun S, Jonas Fjellstedt</strong> & to <strong>Tiffany</strong> ... <strong>Tiffany</strong> I think the type of conversion is important & most important is the post processing. I find myself thinking in... Green is white & water & sky is black or blue in colorized versions. Somehow I find IR easier than landscapes.... but maybe I'll grow with more practice & Shun has been helpful with suggestions & right now I'm reading a book on landscapes which is giving me ideas....... For someone who did not find B&W intriguing & still mostly photograph in color only to convert just a few to B&W - - I find I really enjoy IR & find that I'm really happy shooting IR shots. I find myself playing with the rules & pushing my "creative mind" when I play with it. <br>

Oh & I don't want to see any "Hall of Fame" either. What I love with this thread is the fact that we can all just enjoy it.<br>

Now to the thread in general... As always I enjoy these threads a lot. Mainly because I get to see such variety of photography & yet such excellent photography. Wednesdays are fun & these days I try to plan things for Wednesdays. I now try to have something ready Tuesday evening & I do my best to stay awake so that I can post once Jose starts the thread. I don't like posting late, because posting early means I can take time out to enjoy for the rest of the day & thread with mine out of the way.... :-) And again <strong>a great huge Thank You to Jose</strong> for starting these each week & getting this forum so involved by being persistent.<br>

This is my thoughts this week. :-)<br>

<strong>Jose</strong> - love the fact that I can feel the man's dedication & love for railway mock-ups.<br>

<strong>Rene' </strong> - love the "little girl" look of the models<br>

<strong>Ton</strong> - amazing portrait. Did you find the location & waited until you found a "face" you liked for the shot. It's just amazing as usual.<br>

<strong>Darko</strong> - lots of character in that face as well & love the use of dof & framing<br>

<strong>Matthew</strong> - love the use of color etc in this macro - lovely<br>

<strong>Aaron</strong> - stunning portrait<br>

<strong>Janne</strong> - neat use of glass etc for the macro of that bee, nice<br>

<strong>Elliot</strong> - love the portrait of "Bingo", but I think he misses his family....<br>

<strong>Sjoerd</strong> - glad you're finding birds interesting. I think you've found a fun pose & I see where you're going with it. :-D<br>

<strong>Pedro</strong> - looks like that diver has a nice dinner coming his way & he's happy about it. :-) nice use of the lights.<br>

<strong>Chris</strong> - love the juvenile anhinga. Obviously not scared of people as yet. Love the detail of the eye etc. Lucky you.<br>

<strong>Paul</strong> - lovely seascape at the docks<br>

<strong>Erik</strong> - I would not want to mess with that guy<br>

<strong>Dieter</strong> - love the artsy rose<br>

<strong>Rob</strong> - sweet blueberries, love them & this makes me crave them. :-)<br>

<strong>Wayne</strong> - lovely landscape with lighthouse<br>

<strong>Jeannean</strong> - very inviting photo, looks very appetising<br>

<strong>Richard</strong> - lovely adult Bald Eagle, enjoy your vacation<br>

<strong>Bruce</strong> - stunning seascape/sunrise - very inviting<br>

<strong>Matt</strong> - neat shot<br>

<strong>Raden</strong> - love the land-/seascape, that must be so nice to experience in life<br>

<strong>Ray</strong> - beautiful NY skyline<br>

<strong>Don</strong> - sweet shot<br>

<strong>Ertugrul</strong> - love the inviting colors of this one as well. Makes me want to go to a Farmer's Market & look for fresh fruit. :-)<br>

<strong>Nina</strong> - love the skyline of HK<br>

<strong>Jonathan Matters</strong> - lovely rose<br>

<strong>Dennis</strong> - neat Jelly fish<br>

<strong>Thangavelu</strong> - lovely mother/child portrait<br>

<strong>jf zhang</strong> - very different, is it reflections or post processing?<br>

<strong>Dave</strong> - lovely portrait of your cat, reminds me I need to take some of our surviving cats & dogs.<br>

<strong>Scott</strong> - lovely details in the blacks of your cat, looks like our Lakris.<br>

<strong>keerthi sr</strong> - brings me back to school days<br>

<strong>Tim Holte</strong> - powerful portrait<br>

<strong>Curt</strong> - I don't like snakes, but to get two with such distinct different colorings... <br>

<strong>Steven Seelig</strong> - neat shot, love how the colors turned out.<br>

<strong>Andrew Dryburgh</strong> - neat shot<br>

<strong>Keith Gierman</strong> - lucky you to get a doe to visit your home.<br>

<strong>Paul Nance</strong> - beautiful butterfly<br>

<strong>Anand</strong> - I love bell peppers, especially red, orange & yellow. :-) your photo makes me go yum. :-D<br>

<strong>Laura</strong> - I'm thrilled all are well after that. I hope the cleanup is going well.<br>

<strong>Dan Sutton</strong> - neat shot<br>

<strong>Fab</strong> - love the shot<br>

<strong>Randy</strong> - love the Fall colors<br>

<strong>Jeff</strong> - cute portrait<br>

<strong>Eric Arnold</strong> - love that portrait<br>

<strong>Jonas Fjellstedt</strong> - love the landscape<br>

<strong>Tiffany</strong> - love the sleeping goats<br>

<strong>Waldemar</strong> - stunning colors in this macro<br>

<strong>Jens</strong> - lovely macro<br>

<strong>Ilkka </strong> - love the use of dof<br>

<strong>Richard Karash</strong> - love this landscape, amazing how the colors of the sand play...<br>

<strong>Jeffrey</strong> - lovely shot from Mt. Shasta, it's lovely up there.<br>

<strong>Eric Angelo</strong> - lovely portrait of Dora<br>

<strong>Sandford</strong> - lovely skyline<br>

<strong>Kris</strong> <strong>Bochenek</strong> - lovely night shot<br>

<strong>Aguinaldo</strong> - nice B&W shot<br>

<strong>Melissa</strong> - welcome to posting, girls sure look like they're having fun<br>

<strong>James</strong> - lovely use of sepia<br>

<strong>Colin</strong> - lovely waterfall<br>

<strong>Benjamin Schaefer</strong> - great concert photo<br>

<strong>Nik</strong> - congratulations on the Cooper's Hawk<br>

<strong>Mike C</strong> - what is that rock?<br>

<strong>Jam Pasion</strong> - congratulations on the CWW (Cedar Waxwings)<br>

<strong>George Paris</strong> - love your seascape<br>

<strong>Adam</strong> - I just love the reflections in the background of your gull shot.<br>

<strong>Christopher</strong> - love your take on a Flamingo<br>

<strong>Peter</strong> - beautiful tree for sure, love the colors.<br>

<strong>Arun</strong> - lovely shot<br>

<strong>Adrian</strong> - lovely portrait</p>

<p>That's all for now.... Too tired & I sure hope I did not miss anyone.....<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks all.</p>

<p>Lil, it´s not often that I wait at any location. In this case the guy started talking to a friend who I was with and while he was doing that I went over to them and took this photo close-up. After that he started to pose and to humour him I took some shots with him holding a beer can up (very early in the morning!) Needless to say I binned those.</p>

<p>Lil, your shot was just fantastic. I'm so glad you ended up choosing that one to post this week. I was so intrigued, yet clueless as to what IR was I had to google it. (Yes, I'm that much of a newbie to photography, and since there are quite a few other newbies this week, here's the Wikipedia with an explanation and additional links if any of you want to learn more about IR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_photography) <br>

I second everything you said about this thread and will also add another "thank you" to Jose. In addition, the fact you take the time to comment on each photo is amazing and I know appreciated by each contributer (and thanks to the others who commented about my cherries :). This thread is truly an inspiration (not to mention a wonderful learning experience for those of us who are new to all this). Looking forward to next Wednesday!<br /> </p>

<p>Thank you, Lil and everyone else who commented on my eagle shot. We will have fun at the lake...lots of family and food...and some time for more photography. This was another great week for photos, there are many superb shots here. This week I find that I'm really drawn to Richard Karash's beach shot from Costa Rica...a very pleasing work of art.<br>

Have a good month!<br>

Dick</p>

<p>Thanks, Richard.<br>

@Mike C, that IS that rock?<br>

@Adrian and all the other portraitists, these are fab. Makes me realize I don't do many portraits.<br>

@Arun, the lily and fish are great.<br>

@Christopher and @Adam, great birds.<br>

@George, the Red Sea sunset with the splash certainly has my attention.<br>

Great work, all. What a pleasure this weekly thread has become.</p>