Slow E-P1 Shutter Release

carl_jabido

<p>Thought this was a perfect example of the slow shutter release time on the E-P1. I snapped the shutter as the cab was entering the frame, it took the actual pic as it was exiting the frame. Not a complaint...yet. Just more of an observation. I know it's not an SLR and the kit lens lives up to its kit lens tradition; I'll be replacing it as soon as I find something suitable. (Probably not going for the 17/2.8, for one thing it's still slow, and I want a mechanical focus mechanism please Olympus!) I'll also probably end up switching to mode 3 and pre-focusing instead when doing street stuff. What do you guys think? Have you found this to be an issue?<br>

Anyway, I was just playing with the camera on the walk home and figured the Film Grain setting and ISO 1600/3200 would go hand in hand with NYC streets at night. Here's a few more:</p>

<p>http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjabido/sets/72157621417606116/</p>

<p>Overall, I love the camera. Got it for more discrete street shooting to replace my LX2. Panny lost out since I could never find the LX3 in stock. So far it's definitely attracted less attention than a huge black Canon SLR.</p><div>00TvbN-154327684.jpg.59a321bc4ab86136aad57c5eca1856bd.jpg</div>

<p>Carl, the potential problem of live view system (EVF or LCD) is that the image you are seeing on the display is actually what happened around 100-200msec ago. The image captured by the sensor has to be processed digitally in order to be displayed on the EVF/LCD, so there is an inevitable delay, which forces you to be a little too slow to respond the moment you want to capture.</p>

<p>If you keep watching the LCD screen of E-P1 while shaking your camera, you will notice the timing of the image shake on the LCD occurs always slightly later than your shake.</p>

<p>You're right, I hadn't even considered that. But this was originally one of my primary concerns with going to an LCD based framing/focusing solution. It's made worse with the Art filter on as that slows response ever so slightly. However I think a significant portion of this is the autofocus being too slow.</p>

<p>For this kind of photography: <br>

- switch to manual focus and learn to use DoF to cover your focus zone<br>

- use a clip-on optical viewfinder <br>

- pre-visualize the timing and snap the shutter at the right time</p>

<p>No one camera does everything for all situations the best way. You have to learn how to exploit what you have to do what you want it to. </p>

<p>Yep, that's the goals I've got for this camera. I've been yearning for an M8 or even a Bessa but got this as a sort of bridge-still offering autofocus and P&S so it can replace my LX2 but with the ability to use M lenses so I can get my feet wet there as well.</p>

<p>Very nice shots Carl. You're lucky to be in NYC where, like New Orleans, people actually are on the street after dark.<br><br>

I hate to keep rambling on about noise but it was the last serious technical threshold this camera had to overcome in my mind. It seems to be doing that in a serious way.</p>

<p>The 12 MP threshold absolutely delivers on reasonably sized print quality.</p>

<p>The lack of a mirror and associated mirror slap is another threshold crossed.</p>

<p>In Body IS--another threshold.</p>

<p>Overall size--clearly another threshold.</p>

<p>With preliminary sales being what they're reputed to be it's inevitable that the accessories and additional lenses will follow.</p>

<p>All of a sudden the question is not "why this camera?" but "why anything else?"</p>

<p>Also suddenly, it seems underpriced if anything.</p>

<p>Throw in a stainless steel body and what I presume (based on previous Zuiko experience) are lenses that don't resemble and feel like the worst kind of toy and it's looking more and more transcendent by the moment.</p>

<p>A problem in relative motion of taxi I would say.. Fighter pilots understand. Flash helps freeze moving objects at night,- not exactly when you expect though. Electronic checklists happen inside cameras, thy are getting faster than they used to be. Good experiment, Ace.</p>