Microphone for 5D Mk II

ben_quinn1

<p>I just purchased the 5D MK II kit (great camera but not at all sure about the lens), I want to purchase a external microphone for the video so the video won't pick up noise from camera. Can anyone suggest a good microphone purchase? Needs to be lightweight/discrete. I have no time to research this so opinions will be much appreciated.</p>

<p>24-105, I don't want to bring up the debate over this lens as its been discussed so many times however after the owning the 24-70 and the 17-55 IS it does not suit my needs much, but it is a well made lens. Actually I seem to want to shot with primes all the time of the 5d mkII and also shoot wider, not sure why.<br>

Thanks for the link</p>

<p>I prefer the Rhode stereo mic but the AT800 series one-point stereo mics are a great value for field recording. I used one for years for location recordings with DAT.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

• 3 weeks later...

<p>You're going to regret not taking the time to do some research on this. The audio on the 5DMkII, even with an external mic, is terrible because of the auto level control, which produces noise that is completely unacceptable. That's why just about every video made with the 5DMkII uses alternative audio. Try before you buy. I myself plan to record audio separately with a Zoom portable audio recorder:<br>

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=12756<br>

It's under $300, very well reviewed, has good built-in mics and XLR inputs for external mics. You will also have to learn to cope with syncing the sound with the video, since the 5DMkII records at 30 fps, while almost all audio for video is recorded at 29.97 fps - a small but significant difference that will cause the audio to go out of sync with the video after about 2 minutes if not corrected.</p>