Which Lens for Wedding Portraits?

steve_elms

<p>I have both a 50mm 1.4 and a 24-70mm 2.8 that I use on my Nikon D700. I keep reading that the 50mm 1.4 is a good portrait lens but I'm a bit unsure why. I find that to shoot at 1.4 the depth of field is WAY to shallow so I end up shooting around 2.8. So if I'm shooting at 2.8 would I not be better to just use the 24-70 at 2.8 so I have the flexibility of the zoom? Or is the 50mm a crisper lens at say 1.8 or 2.8?<br /> <br /> Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>With regards to angle of view, the 50 is a "normal" lens for the D700 but on a DX camera it is longer than normal, or closer to the typical "portrait" lens for a camera system because of the size of the sensor. <br>

I find that having a lens to shoot portraits that can get a very shallow depth of field and also has the ability of close focusing is a good thing. You can use the shallow depth of field to throw the background out of focus or even throw facial features out of focus. It really depends on what kind of photograph you are after. If you don't find you are using these features than I don't see why you shouldn't just use your zoom lens.</p>

<p>I suspect the assertion that the 50mm f1.4 is a good portrait lens is from people who use it on a cropped sensor camera, as it becomes an 80mm lens on those cameras, which is a good portrait focal length. 50mm is a good focal length on a full frame camera, for full lengths of one to four people, vertical orientation. If the subjects are on the same plane, at a distance to capture a full length, f1.4 would be fine re DOF. You would not necessarily be better off using the zoom, as DOF will change according to focal length, f stop and subject distance, and perspective will change according to focal length and subject framing.</p>

<p>On a full frame camera, for head and shoulders, 105-135mm is about right. For half and 3/4 lengths, 85mm, and for full lengths, 50mm.</p>

<p>As for the 50mm being sharper because 1) it is a prime lens and/or 2) it is stopped down whereas the zoom is wide open--these may or may not be true, although both are 'generally' true. You'd have to do your own tests with your own lenses to confirm or refute these.</p>

<p>It's a nice portrait lens for individuals, the shallow DOF will yield a nice result when focused on the eyes. For a group photo, you can certainly shoot at a smaller aperture, but I prefer the 24-70 for group shots. As you said, the flexibility of the zoom is nice. How many group shots get blown up to 16x20 anyway?</p>