Need a Quick, Specific Critique

mbbrown

<p>Haha! M M! What sad corner of the world do you live in where a big smile is frowned upon?</p>

<p>Just kidding.</p>

<p>But, seriously...this was her real, natural smile. I do not attempt to control such things.</p>

<p>I don't know why that comment made me giggle. :-D</p>

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>No worries Michael, well not frown upon... looks not real and natural, but I do believe U on this one :)<br>

yeah, just recently I was walking down street and noticed that everyone is sad, not people were laughing or even smiling, too much concern over a cresis? Nah, cant be :)</p>

<p>Arie has a point. The warm tones overall work together well, though I don't care for the shadows between the chairs. Interesting to rework the color original with selective desaturation. Lex's comment about choosing manipulations carefully to enhance tonal separation is more than a point--it's key to transforming our snapshots into photographs, and we'd do well to remember it.</p>

<p>Michael's observation that with regard to subject expression, "I do not attempt to control such things," puts him outside the realm of portraitist and into the realm of candid snapshooter. We accept natural expressions in the ordinary process of everyday life, but they acquire a different dimension when frozen in a photo, and here I'd say the subject looks tense rather than natural. It's certainly possible to deemphasize the lines under the eyes and around the mouth and make the catchlights a little larger, and still have the subject say, "That's the real me." Hard to do convincingly, but an excellent skill to have. </p>

<p>Of all the monochrome variations suggested, I prefer the original. There is a slight dark halo around the head that might be lightened, and the dress at the bottom of the picture can use a little more darkening, simply to make these areas consistent with the rest of the picture.</p>

<p>I'm with Martin. High Key is the way I'd go. I added a vignette around it and in a beautiful frame the high key image can be stunning. Give them the color version without the highlights on the forehead and they should be happy. Bill</p>

<p>Charles, I won't continue to argue the point that the smile on this bride in particular, in this shot in particular, is the same smile she had through the entire wedding, including the reception when she was much more relaxed, engaged and mostly camera-unaware. I find it odd you label me a "candid shooter" and not a "portraitist" based on one image, and one comment. Of course I offer verbal ques to tweak a smile if I feel it's forced or unnatural. But what I do not do is attempt to change a person's natural smile to suit an image. This was her natural smile. This is what I don't attempt to change or control.</p>

<p>My goal with any bride at any wedding is to capture them at their best, their most natural and most representative of their true self. My intervention on any bride's smile is limited to drawing-out a natural expression, creating a relaxed atmosphere and taking several images of each set-up to get the best representation of mood.</p>

<p>I do a very healthy Senior Portrait business, as well as countless bridal and engagement sessions (despite not being a "portraitist") and apply these same principles to those, as well. Although I do take a bit more time to tweak the set-up as much as possible.</p>

<p>I have now said all I will say on the subject of her smile. I find it incredibly judgmental for anyone to critique that. It was not solicited, nor is it in any way helpful, post-event. She is a client of mine and I proudly defend her unique look as I would any of my clients. Additionally, I feel good about how she was represented in all of her wedding images; I feel like I captured her mood and spirit, and that is what a true "portraitist" does.</p>

<p>Gee, I almost feel like I should post transcripts from college where I obtained a degree in Photographic Science with a Major in Portraiture.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"It's certainly possible to deemphasize the lines under the eyes and around the mouth and make the catchlights a little larger, and still have the subject say, "That's the real me." Hard to do convincingly, but an excellent skill to have." -Charles Heckel</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In the interest of taking into consideration the comments of my peers, I've prepared a quick mock-up of just such a suggestion, cropped a bit tighter for viewing. To me, it looks a little unnatural. Granted, I went beyond subtle, but the idea is represented, I feel.</p><div>00TvPl-154205684.thumb.jpg.73c4c7ad543303ce94b4a7c429c10c6a.jpg</div>

<p> My Idea on your photo. I really liked the Black and White that you did. Although I don't much care for this latest rework, mostly because it looks a little too unatural to me. I really liked your original crop too. Anyway, I ran an edit for what I would do if it were mine. I used a Green filter in the BW conv. A little Diffuse Glow filter blended to help give a bright, soft feel. I also reduced the dark contrast around her eyes and mouth as many people pointed out. I lightly Gaussian Blurred around the Bride to help draw a little more focus toward her. Last I added a Sepia photo filter at 25%, layer blend 10% to help with skin tones. Just my take on your great shot... :) </p><div>00TvRJ-154217584.thumb.jpg.5da0889100bbb0e61d359e87fddabf58.jpg</div>

<p>It looks like you used the red channel to do your b&w conversion. If so, try adding in a little of the blue and green channels as well, maybe 70% Red, 15% each blue & green. That will keep the freckles to a minimum but still retain good contrast and separation from the background.</p>

<p>Michael, Here are my versions in mono and col. My fix took around 5 minutes each shot. healing some blemishes on the brides face, then lo opacity cover to smooth skin and remove the shadows created by the flash. I actually added a little eye liner to the bottom of the eyes, whitened eyes and in the col version boosted the hair saturation and lips a little. In both cases added diff glow then erased effect on bride, cropped shot done. Good luck with the other 600 shots. Thanks for sharing. Clive</p><div>00TvUi-154247684.thumb.jpg.ebbb73f9f72adc51d8c24e9072c0a0c7.jpg</div>

<p>Usually I am the type that agonizes over a decision like this as well but for me this one is obvious: Stay with the color. I think the chairs are the most interesting part of the image and when you convert to B&W they start to lose depth and definition. It's almost like she's sitting in chair <em>in front of a chair-painted backdrop</em>. I would keep the color. </p>

<p>I think the best picture on this page is the un-touched original color.</p>

<p>Close cropped and in color as it's her skin than makes her seperate from the background. I wouldn't call it flat as there was good contrast in the first B&W just a lot of the same tone. Take a break and go back to it lots of good suggestions.<br>

-Shane</p>