Pentax K-7 First Look Hands-on Review by Justin Serpico

hannahthiem

<p>We were able to get our hands on an early production model before the Pentax K-7 hits the streets. This First Look Review of the Pentax K-7 goes over the build, controls, quality and feel of the camera and also compares it to its predecessors, the K10D and K20D. Test shots, video, and more to follow.</p>

<p><em>While the camera is smaller, it seems to have lost very little real estate for the shooting hand. In some ways it seems less cramped and easier to hold than the K10 /20D. This is very contrary to what I would have expected. Holding both the ist D (Pentax previous compact flagship model) and the K-7 in hand it appears they are very similar in size, but the K-7 is much more comfortable to hold with average sized male hands, and doesn’t seem anymore cramped. This is a very impressive feat, and was able to be done largely because Pentax chopped off the control buttons on the left side of the camera and found a home for them in different locations.</em> -Justin Serpico<em><br /> </em><br>

Read the full <a href="../equipment/pentax/k7/review">Pentax K-7 First Look Review</a>.</p>

<p>Thumbs-up Justin and thank you, Hannah.</p>

<p>I am looking forward to Justin's in-depth review later, but the hands-on still makes interesting reading. Like a lot of people, I'm holding out for the first price dive - I just hope Justin doesn't come up with too much of a rave or I'll be head-over-heels down the shops for one...</p>

<p>Thank you both for the overview. Justin, you covered about the same ergonomic and non-image making features and functions that I care about. Having a dedicated ISO button seems like a dumb-down move, I also think the former OK-button control was such a superb touch. But I'm more than willing to suffer minor changes if the image quality is significantly improved, which to me is a fairly tall order.<br>

ME<br>

Posting from the Siskiyou mountains in SW Oregon</p>

<p>Sounds like K7 will be more short-lived than K10/K20D. Maybe this points to a K30D. I doubt they'll introduce a K-9 ...despite Pentax dog lovers :-)</p>

<p>Maybe a K7II, no eventual K-9...the one-numeral lineage may end with K7, implying loyalty to APS, no eventual 5D FF series.</p>

<p>Jacques, I'm just fantasizing ...since Pentax surely won't call any model a K-9 (canine), it presumably will abandon the one-digit naming series before it gets past 8. </p>

<p>As a K20D user who makes prints, thinking of another body, I've not been tempted by anything I've read about K7...at nearly twice the price.</p>

<p>K7II? Sounds like Canon FF. Since Canon's one-digit means full frame, presumably Pentax won't use one digit for that purpose.</p>

<p>Since Pentax has a huge competitive advantage with K20D vs the others at the price, and since it should be easy for them to refine K20D (slim it down, give it a magnesium frame), I'd imagine their future is with the two digit series. K refers to the mount...so I doubt we'll see an "L" or "M" (like Leica) series.</p>

<p> Since reviews have not even hinted at any significant improvement in K7 over K20, save for incidental details at far higher price, and since most Pentax users seem oriented toward image quality, for which K7 reportedly has no advantage, then it follows that....</p>

<p>So, is your K-7 a Beta Sensor loaner to chit~chat about or a K-7 with production sensor Justin?</p>

<p>I've been seeing and reading of some wacky results from both at pentaxforums, as I am sure you have too. Cock-eyed sensor installations, vertical banding lines, weird patterns at 1600 iso. Hopefully you got a good Beta Sensor K-7 or a good production version K-7 if you didn't buy it. If you did drop some full price coin on it, hopefully you got a stellar sample. I'm waiting till April or May 2010 to consider one at half off admission.</p>

<p>The K-7 is so well sealed yet the sensor generates heat in liveview and video. I wonder how a weather sealed dslr vents off the heat build up inside the camera?</p>

<p>Lindy</p>

<p>Lindy, you'd imagine the Mag Alloy shield is a great heatsink!</p>

<p>On the other hand, those same threads you've been reading have been saying that a lot of the problems happen in high temp. This would tell me that the mag alloy is conducting the heat in pretty fast and the smaller internals don't have that much volume and get hot fast. Damn you, physics!</p>

<table id="productview_tblSpecs" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td>Physical Specifications:</td>

<td>Body dimensions (W x H x D): 5.1 x 3.8 x 2.9” Body weight, without battery or removable memory - 22.9 oz, Loaded and ready - 26.5 oz; Construction material(s): Magnesium alloy shell over stainless steel chassis; Operating temperature: 14-104°F (-10 to 40°C)</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>I wonder if 104 degrees is outside temperture or inside camera temp? Still, I wonder with superb weathersealing how the sensor heat is supposed to quickly drop inside the K-7?</p>

<p>I'm glad I'll wait for 6 or 7 months before I can decide if a K-7 is needed. At this point I cannot imagine any camera I'd buy at launch. A camera inhand is a powerful thing. I'm not missing out on any still images with a K20D in the house. Anyways, most people say they don't want HD in a DSLR. Yet that seems to be one of the few things K-7 has over K20D. Its appearing the sensor in K20D is at least equal to or some say better than K-7. If K-7 layout was the same as K20D AND if battery was same as K20D that would be cool. I'm thinking the best back up for a K20D is a K20D or K10D. Best back up for a K-7 is another K-7 for ease of use via identical controls and identical battery & charger.</p>