Which Softbox would you buy?

heathorchard

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I am looking to add on to my Speeodtron 1205cx kit by purchasing my first softbox. I have a budget of roughly $300 and would prefer a box that could light full length portraits. However, I am doubtful I'll find it in that price range. I've always assumed Chimera was the way to go for quality in a reasonable price range and am leaning towards the Medium Super Pro Plus Chimera with the recessed front so I can add a grid to it later when I have a bit more money. Does anybody have any other suggestions or reasons why I should not choose this particular softbox? I realize it may be a little too small for full lengths but if the price and quality are what I'm looking for I'll probably just make do for now. </p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>-Heath</p>

<p>You might take a look at the Calumet Iluma series. They have a very flat profile which means less stress on the mount to the flash and less forward pull on the stand and the tilt mechanism for the flash head. It also means you have more space to work around your subject or set. The medium is probably not going to help much for full lengths. Take a look a the large in any manufacturer's catalog. Something around 3x4 feet or up will do best for what you ae targeting. Also look at how well the rods create tension in the front fabric. One type that I used in the XL size was so loose that the front fabric bagged outward. No way that could be smooth and even lighting. A recessed front is also needed for later addition of the grid you mentioned.</p>

<p>I think the chimera ones are a little better, from internet adivce, but I use photoflex softboxes. I haven't had any trouble with any of them ever and I think they are great... You might see if you can afford a larger box in photoflex, as I believe that a larger softbox will benefit you more than a better softbox, in some sense.</p>

<p>Brooks,<br>

Can you please explain exactly why you feel that silver, instead of white, is the way to go. I've been wondering if it would really make that much of a difference. My understanding is the silver adds a bit more contrast. Is that something you find yourself needing with these boxes and why?</p>

<p>One more question. I also do some video work. Is there any reason I couldn't just buy the Chimera intended for use on constant lights, such as an Arri 650, and still use it for my strobes? I'm assuming there's more to it than just the amount of heat the box can withstand?</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses!</p>

<p>-Heath</p>

<p>Heath,</p>

<p>I haven't found that the silver interior adds more contrast to the light but I do use the included interior baffle which diffuses the light a bit more. The silver interior is a bit more efficient than the white and might be more even from center to corner.</p>

<p>I'm not sure if the hot light Chimera has the same size opening, same rod length and allows the fitment of the speed ring designed for Speedotron or any other flash. Usually the hot light Chimeras have a much larger opening to keep the fabric away from hot parts of the quartz light.</p>

<p>I'm not sure if this helps but here goes...</p>

<p>I bought a Chimera box for video work a couple of years ago, and when I bought studio flashes, I wanted to use it for them. Chimera made a speed ring specifically to fit my Profotos and it works like a charm! So... I'd check with Chimera to see if they have a speed ring for the Speedotrons.</p>

<p>Cheers!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Heath<br>

Call Plume Wafer (Garry Register) who invented the Chimera boxes. It is possible that he might have a great deal on a 2nd or a box with a slight defect or a demo. Except for my Elinchrom large Octabox, Plume Wafer is one of the most even lighting boxes and Narrow. <a href="http://www.plumeltd.com/waferinfo.html">http://www.plumeltd.com/waferinfo.html</a><br>

Yes they are expensive, but it is a wonderful product. I had many Photoflex boxes & chimeras that did not hold up. Garry register stands behind his product, and replaced one I purchased about 18 years ago. They are a great company to deal with. </p>

<p>Heath<br>

Call Plume Wafer (Garry Register) who invented the Chimera boxes. It is possible that he might have a great deal on a 2nd or a box with a slight defect or a demo. Except for my Elinchrom large Octabox, Plume Wafer is one of the most even lighting boxes and Narrow. <a href="http://www.plumeltd.com/waferinfo.html">http://www.plumeltd.com/waferinfo.html</a><br>

Yes they are expensive, but it is a wonderful product. I had many Photoflex boxes & chimeras that did not hold up. Garry register stands behind his product, and replaced one I purchased about 18 years ago. They are a great company to deal with. </p>

<div>00U0M3-156935584.jpg.9c15a92a4ced481b9b350e44ede88c45.jpg</div>