Focus Issues Nikon D80

suzanne_taylor1

<p>I have been having serious issues with my Nikon D80. I take pictures that I think are in focus, however after I check them on the computer they are not as sharp as they need to be. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but it is driving me nuts. I have tried fiddling with the settings hoping that a faster ISO or shutter speed would correct the problem but it is not. Can anyone please help me determine what is causing this?<br>

Thank You!!!<br>

Suzie</p>

<div>00Tstw-152693584.jpg.33df5e337a497b0c7b61845149afbd08.jpg</div>

<p>Suzanne,</p>

<p>I really don't see a problem in this photo.</p>

<p>It is obviously a very limited depth of field from either zooming or low f/stop.<br>

The young man's feet are out of focus as is the background, normal for a low f #.</p>

<p>If you desire more in focus, raise your f/stop to f/8-f11 and keep your shutter speed at least 1/125th to avoid motion blur.</p>

<p>What lens and f/stop did you shoot this at?</p>

<p>agree with pete, that pic doesnt have focus issues. however, stopping down--clicking to a higher aperture number--would increase depth of field. incidentally, using a wider aperture (lower number) actually makes pics seem sharper, as they isolate the main subject from the backfground, which makes it stand out. if you shot this at f/8 you might get more detail in the background, but your main subject wouldnt be as dramatic.</p>

<p>I find it difficult to photograph children as they move frequently. When you have a relatively shallow DOF, any movement from the child can make the picture slightly off focus. I do agree with others that the picture you show looks perfectly fine, though.</p>

<p>The toy animal's paw looks pretty sharp, like that was where the lens focused. The boy's head is farther back. Are you sure the camera is focusing in the center and not on one of the other possible focus points? That is an option that may have been accidently selected. Or, maybe the camera/lens is "front focusing." Try testing more than one lens. </p>

<p>Nice picture, I see no apparent lack of sharpness. The choice for a big aperture seems logical to me too, so testing at f/8 might make sense, but it will not solve the issue (if there?).</p>

<p>Check in ViewNX which focus point was used, maybe it is focussed elsewhere than you expected. But as said, I find it hard to fault this photo.</p>