Lenses for wedding - please help

a_b84

<p>I have Canon 40D with 28-135mm kit lens and Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. Do I really need the canon 50mm 1.8 lens ? I was thinking about 70-200mm lens for shooting in the church while B&G exchange rings</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Since you have the 50mm range in the Tamron, my suggestion would be to experiment with some friends while in the church, letting them be the B and G and in different locations and distances from where you may be shooting from.<br>

You may want to find out ahead of time what lens is going to work best depending on the building and the amount of room / distance you have to work with taking into consideration that the 40d you have is a 1.6 crop factor camera.<br>

The 70-200mm may be the best bet, but it may be too long if you don't have the room / distance to use it for what you mention.<br>

Best Wishes<br>

Harold</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The only thing i hate working with prime lens is moving with our feet. On the other hand is 50mm lens has f1.8 which is nice fo low light and have a good blurry background. It's a good idea to visit a place that we're going to shoot a few weeks ahead to check out the lighting.</p>

<p>My feeling on the 50mm f1.8 is, it is so inexpensive, why not? No brainer. As for the 70-200mm zoom, if you have the money and are going to get one, be sure it is the f2.8, IS version. Nothing else makes much sense for a wedding photographer (my opinion only), except to use all prime, telephotos (my preference).</p>

<p>I agree 100% about using primes. I used a 24-70 for a long time and felt like it wasn't "forcing" me to be creative. Then I remembered back in the 80's when I was shooting weddings with medium format, we didn't have zooms. We had feet. And we walked those feet forward and backward and all around.</p>

<p>You just can't beat the image quality of primes, and, in most cases, the speed.</p>

<p>I LOVE my Nikkor 85mm 1.4! I'll have that thing until I keel over, I promise you that.</p>

<p ><strong ><em >“I have Canon 40D with 28-135mm kit lens and Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. Do I really need the canon 50mm 1.8 lens ?”</em></strong></p>

<p ><strong ><em > </em></strong></p>

<p >Can you / do you use flash all the time? – If "yes" then the 50 Prime really is not very useful, exepct for a really shallow DoF and perhaps enhanced bokeh. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >But if there are times when Flash in not permitted: then, when the EV renders the Tv and ISO critical, how effectively one will be able to use any lens, <strong ><em >without Flash</em></strong> will be dependent upon, (in priority):</p>

<p > </p>

<p >1. the Len's Maximum Aperture.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >2a. the Focal length of the lens and camera viewpoint, combined with:<br />2b. size of the venue;<br />2c. size of the Subject (Wedding Party) and both 2a, 2b and 2c in respect to:<br />2d. the ability (or not) of the Photographer to select the Camera’s Viewpoint and the ability to roam.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >3. the Photographers' skill in timing & shutter execution. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >The fastest zoom one can get is F/2.8 - which can be > 2stops SLOWER than a prime in the same range and Point 1, is the major priority for shooting in available light.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >So it depends what conditions you are likely to encounter whether the 50F/1.8 will be a suitable purchase, or not – on the other hand – it is inexpensive – and, you are, in the same sentence talking big money with a 70 to 200 zoom – so a 50F/1.8 seems to make very cheap “insurance”.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong ><em >“I was thinking about 70-200mm lens for shooting in the church while B&G exchange rings”</em></strong></p>

<p >At what Subject Distance? (How far away?) At . . . 12 to 20 ft, even a bit farther, the 50F/1.8 would suffice: and it is a stop and a bit faster.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The 70 to 200 is large capital outlay only you can answer if it is worth it to you. I agree that the only one of the four models which makes sense for a Wedding kit is the F/2.8IS</p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong ><em >“The only thing i hate working with prime lens is moving with our feet.” </em></strong></p>

<p >I have found that there is a lot of feet moving, when covering a Wedding. <br /><br /></p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong ><em >“It's a good idea to visit a place that we're going to shoot a few weeks ahead to check out the lighting.”</em></strong></p>

<p >Usually mandatory, IMO.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>