70-200 2.8 VR -- Wow

beartooth1

<p>Ken,<br>

Regarding what Matt was talking about ..in the D90 in menu under f4, if you assign the AE/AF button to AF on ..the shutter will NOT be used as the focus locking mechanism an will only lock in the VR. When I want to shoot something that moves..I use this feature..nice trick with birds..and critters. For portraits and landscapes I usually use AE lock only..so I can take a reading off the sky lock it and then shoot...or take a reading off a face..so it doesn't get underexposed in backlit subjects..hope that helps.</p>

<p>I think the lens is the bizniz..It's got a great signiture and is tack sharp on my D200. And I get the best color from any Nikon lens I have on the D200. I don't use it enough, but there are certain situations that I wouldn't want to use any other lens. It's also a fabulous portrait lens.<br>

The focus priority setting is something I came across on my D200. It's not to be confused with Aperture Priority or Shutter Speed Priority. Aperture and Shutter Speed Priority still are in effect when using focus priority. Focus priority setting does not allow the camera to fire until focused is achieved. If you put it off focus priority confusingly also called "shutter priority" it just means the camera fires when the shutter is pressed whether in focus or not. Not to be confused with shutter speed priority where the shutter speed is fixed by the user and the camera then chooses the aperture setting for the exposure. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>@ Mary -- I have a D300 -- Ferdinad asked that question...but thanks for the tip....<br>

@ Barry -- I have Focus Priority set up in my Portait configured shooting banks, I just had forgotten, I'm glad Matt reminded to look...</p>

<p>Hey Ken; I've had mine since last August, just amazing. I find that when hand holding use the monopod / tripod mount for better stablization. just turn it a bit so it sits in the palm of you hand and let the weight of the lens rest there.<br>

stephen-</p>

<p>@Ken<br>

Hah.. I stumbled on it by accident. I shoot on the street mostly, and so value speed over accuracy in some situations, and I found my camrea not firing when I pressed the shutter, and thinking WTF?!. But it is actually a handy feature for anything where you don't want to trade off focus. I know it's hard to imagine you'd ever want to take an out of focus picture, but it does happen now and again. Have you tried your 70-200 as a portrait lens, wide open or near to on the D300? Fabulous.<br>

Here's a small set I posted with all done with that lens.<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fusion_photo/sets/72157613186647997/<br>

View as a slide show, click near top right. Lens is stellar.</p>

<p>The closest competitor is the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM but it doesn't have VR. I picked up 2 of those for less than one Nikon 70 - 200 f2.8 w/vr. Shooting sports at 1/250 + most of the time the VR doesn't come into play.</p>

<p>The build quality on the Nikon is that of an M1 Abrams Tanks whereas the build on the Sigma is more like a Sherman Tank.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I use a monopod with a cheap ball head free to rotate. I can shoot 1 sec almost sharp, 0.1 sec is sharp (processed by Phase One!). VR is not much bothered by a monopod with a faint body motion. Use only raw files!<br>

As to other names, there are auto focusing problems... Search the internet for some tests.<br>

Have fun.</p>

<p>I was mickey-mousing around with the 70-200 lens trying to produce the vignetting I keep hearing about. Is this the it? Whoa!! Do I have a bad copy? OK, so there was some post. I kinda like the vignetting. So does Mickey. Happy 4th. I couldnt resist. Oh, I know, it wasnt even the 70-200. I did test the 70-200 wide open shooting a white wall. There is some in the corners on fx. But like the posters above, I love this lens for portraits. Neat feature I dont hear mentioned. The tripod collar allows spinning the lens to vertical format when on tripod. </p><div>00TqJB-151135584.jpg.05679a16c558c1c6c690d52c0e515c7c.jpg</div>

<p>Regarding the Mickey Mouse photo:<br /> <br />(1) That amount of vignetting is 100 percent correctable in PS or Capture NX 2.</p>

<p>(2) The photo is slightly underexposed. I'm guessing that the meter reacted to the white elements in the middle of the frame. If you optimize the exposure with software, the vignetting will be less noticeable.</p>

<p>(3) Were you using a polarizer? I've never seen this much vignetting without having filters attached.</p>

<p>Dan, the vignetting was 100 percent created in ps. It was shot with a 12-24 on a dx, no vignetting. I was just kidding about the comments relating the 70-200 vignetting issues with fx wide open. The way I shoot, they arent an issue. I use it for studio portraits and usually at least at 5.6. But as you indicate, lens correction will remove the vignetting that does result. So will cropping. The weight is only an issue around the neck. On foot, I keep it in the bag and the weight, an extra 2 lbs, is inconsequential. I have shot with it all day. If I want to loose a couple of lbs I am carrying, I need to push away from the table. Maybe carrying a couple of extra lbs of gear will burn more calories. Put me in the column of those who love this lens. It is my primary lens on fx followed by a 50. Now thats not too much weight. </p>

<p>Bob Bill: I really wish you wouldn't deliberately post such misleading information and image to this forum. That is very unhelpful.</p>

<p>Attached is a real-life image captured during a wedding rehearsal with the 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR at 200mm, wide open at f2.8 on a D3 body, ISO 6400. I am showing the entire frame with no cropping, only reducing the size of the image for forum posting. You can evaluate the vignetting issue at f2.8 yourself in one real-life situation.</p><div>00Tqtk-151463584.jpg.e2068b4eb0c6c6b24e511e9b0d5c46d0.jpg</div>

<p>I can tell you from experience the Tamron 70-200mm can produce very nice pictures....problem is the AF system is absolutely horrible compared to the Nikon. So anyone considering buying the Tamron better be using it in plenty of light or in a studio controlled environment. Otherwise bite the bullet and get the Nikon. <br>

When it does AF correctly though it does produce some very nice images. This isn't a "bad copy" issue either. I've seen it in dozens of copies and seen many people return the Tamron because of this. If Tamron can fix this issue they will have a very nice lens on their hands.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Dan, the vignetting was 100 percent created in ps. It was shot with a 12-24 on a dx, no vignetting. I was just kidding about the comments relating the 70-200 vignetting issues with fx wide open.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Heh-heh! You GOT me, Bob! DOH!</p>

<p>:D</p>

<p>I've used this lens many times... especially in low light setting. It always comes with me when I shoot concerts, the auto focus has been really quick. It's true that you will get some blurring on anything below a 30th of a second. I've also used it on shooting fashion shoots in available day light. Not to mention that it's pretty impressive walking around whit this lens in NYC, even thought it's all black people notice it all the time. </p>